"NORTHEN, or NORTHENDEN, a parish in the hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, containing, with the township of Northen, and part of that of Etchells, 1406 inhabitants, of which number, 630 are in the township of Northen, 4½ miles. (W.) from Stockport. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £10. 7. 6., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The church, dedicated to St. Wilfrid, is principally in the later style of English architecture, with an enriched wooden screen. A part of the hall, the seat of the Tattons, is very ancient; it was garrisoned by Charles I., and besieged and taken by the parliamentarians." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Northenden, also a township in Northenden ancient parish, Bucklow hundred (SJ 8290), became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1931 to become part of Manchester (Lancashire).
- It included the hamlets of Lawton Moor, Northen Moor, Rose Hill, Wythenshawe (part).
- The population was 538 in 1801, 679 in 1851, and 2127 in 1901.
|St Hilda, Northenden, Roman Catholic|
|Wythenshawe Road, Northenden, Society of Friends (Quaker)|
- Altrincham (1837-98)
- Bucklow (1898-1936)
- Manchester South (1936-39)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Northenden to another place.
"NORTHEN, (or Northenden), a parish in the hundred of Macclesfield, county Chester, 7 miles S. of Manchester, its post town, and 5 W. of Stockport. The village, which is rather straggling, is situated on the river Mersey, and is entirely agricultural. The parish corn prises the township of North-Etchells. The land is in a high state of cultivation. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Chester, value £406, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Wilfrid, is an ancient structure of sandstone, with a low square embattled tower containing six bells. The interior of the church contains tablets to the Tattons of Withenshaw. The parochial charities produce about £42 per annum, £23 of which goes to Sharson's school. There is a National school for children of both sexes, with a small endowment, also an infant school in which a Sunday-school is held. Withenshaw Hall, the old seat of the Tatton family, is an ancient mansion, formerly garrisoned for the king and taken by the parliamentary troopsin 1644. T. William Tatton, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. Wakes are held in the third week in October.
You can see the administrative areas in which Northenden has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ824884 (Lat/Lon: 53.391839, -2.265844), Northenden which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Altrincham Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Altrincham Rural District (1894-95)
- Bucklow Rural District (1895-1931)
- Manchester County Borough (1931-74) *
- Manchester Metropolitan Borough (1974+) *
* As part of the civil parish of Manchester (Lancashire, 1931-74 ; Greater Manchester, 1974+)