"ETCHELLS, a township partly in the parish of NORTHEN, or NORTHENDEN, and partly in that of STOCKPORT, hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 3¾ miles (W. S. W.) from Stockport, containing 1525 inhabitants. There is a small free school." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Northen Etchells (or Northenden Etchells) was a township in the ancient parishes of Northenden and Stockport, Bucklow hundred (SJ 8289), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1931 to become part of Manchester (Lancashire).
- It included the hamlets of Brownsley Green, Cross Acres, Heyhead, Moss Nook, Poundswick, Royal Thorn and Sharston.
- The population was 646 in 1801, 680 in 1851, and 738 in 1901.
- Altrincham (1837-98)
- Bucklow (1898-1936)
- Manchester South (1936-39)
- 1931 April 1 — Abolished and incorporated into Manchester (Lancashire) (2322 acres, pop. 906 in 1921)
- Altrincham Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Altrincham Rural District (1894-95)
- Bucklow Rural District (1895-1931)
- Manchester County Borough (1931-74) *
- Manchester Metropolitan Borough (1974+) *
* As part of the civil parish of Manchester (Lancashire, 1931-74 ; Greater Manchester, 1974+)