"NORTHWICH, a market-town in the parochial chapelry of WITTON, which is included in that part of the parish of GREAT-BUDWORTH which is in the hundred of NORTHWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 17½ miles (E.N.E.) from Chester, and 173 (N.W.) from London, containing 1490 inhabitants. ... More" [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Northwich was a township in Witton chapelry of Great Budworth ancient parish, Northwich hundred (SJ 6573), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The population was 1338 in 1801, 1377 in 1851, 17611 in 1901, 17489 in 1951, and 19259 in 2001.
- Northwich Cemetery, Church Road. Opened 1890.
- Dane Valley Cemetery, Shipbrook Road. Opened 1990s.
|Christ Church, Northwich, Church of England|
|Holy Trinity, Northwich, Church of England|
|St Luke, Northwich, Church of England|
|Castle Street, Northwich, United Reformed Church|
|Chester Road, Northwich, United Reformed Church|
|Cross Street, Northwich, United Reformed Church|
|Our Lady of Czestochowa, Northwich, Roman Catholic|
|St Wilfred, Northwich, Roman Catholic|
|St Wilfrid, Northwich, Roman Catholic|
- Northwich (1837-1974)
- Vale Royal (1974-98)
- Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
- Northwich (1828-71)
- Leftwich (1871-99)
- Northwich (1899-1974)
- Vale Royal (1974-2012)
- West Cheshire (2012+)
Transcription for Northwich from Samuel Lewis - A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Northwich to another place.
- 1894 September 29 — Gained the whole of Castle Northwich (pop. 2345 in 1901) and Witton cum Twambrooks (pop. 8914 in 1901), and the parts in Northwich Urban Sanitary District of Hartford (pop. 1699 in 1901), Leftwich (pop. 2699 in 1901) and Winnington (pop. 1390 in 1901).
- 1936 April 1 — Gained parts of Barnton (15 acres, pop. 0 in 1931), Leftwich (1 acre, pop. 0 in 1931), Lostock Gralam (162 acres, pop. 831 in 1931), Rudheath (9 acres, pop. 0 in 1931) and Winnington (561 acres, pop. 1264 in 1931) .
- 1955 April 1 — Gained parts of Davenham (26 acres, pop. 190 in 1951), Hartford (54 acres, pop. 955 in 1951), Rudheath (122 acres, pop. 1526 in 1951) and Whatcroft (46 acres, pop. 0 in 1951).
- 1988 April 1 — Gained parts of Davenham and Whatcroft.
- 2011 April 1 — Lost part to the new parish of Kingsmead.
- 2015 April 1 — Lost part to Rudheath.
You can see the administrative areas in which Northwich has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ655737 (Lat/Lon: 53.259173, -2.518627), Northwich which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Northwich Urban Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Northwich Urban District (1894-1974)
- Vale Royal (1974-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)