"NORTON, a township in the parish of RUNCORN hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER; 4½ miles (N. B.) from Frodsham, containing 294 inhabitants. A priory of Augustine canons, originally founded in 1133, at Runcorn, by William Fitz-Nigell, was removed hither by his son William, constable of Chester: this house was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, and at the dissolution had a revenue of £258. 11. 8.: it was subsequently a private mansion, and was besieged by the royalists in the early part of 1643. The Mersey and Irwell and the Duke of Bridgewater's canal pass through the township." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Norton was a township in Runcorn ancient parish, Bucklow hundred (SJ 5581), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1967 to become part of Runcorn and Daresbury.
- It includes the hamlets of Eanley Wood, Murdishaw, Priory Cross and Windmill Hill
- The population was 220 in 1801, 344 in 1851, 294 in 1901, and 142.
For the period after 1967, see Runcorn.
- 1933 April 1 — Lost the area north of the Manchester Ship Canal to Cuerdley, Lancashire (430 acres, pop. 28 in 1931)
- 1936 April 1 — Gained the whole of Stockham (331 acres, pop. 21 in 1931), and lost parts to Preston Brook (185 acres, pop. 42 in 1931) and Runcorn (36 acres, pop. 3 in 1931)