The aim of the Cheshire Parishes project is to help people identify useful sources and records for every locality in the county. Currently the following information is given (where applicable):
- Name of the township or civil parish.
- The ancient parish and hundred in which it was situated.
- Its Ordnance Survey Grid Reference (eg. SJ 4761).
- The names of the main hamlets and villages.
- The population in 1801, 1851, 1901, 1951 and 2001.
- Details of Boundary Changes
- A list of Churches and Chapels in the locality, showing the name and denomination of each place of worship, with a link to each church page where more information can be found.
- Details of any civil Cemeteries or burial grounds.
- The names of the Local Government Districts in which the parish has been situated
- The name(s) of the Electoral Districts and parliamentary constituencies in which the parish was situated between 1832 and 1974.
- The name(s) of the Poor Law Unions in which the parish was situated between 1836 and 1930.
- The name(s) of the Civil Registration Districts in which the parish has been situated since July 1837.
All information shown is believed to be correct at the time of publication, but readers are advised to check current holdings before visiting local archival repositories or churches. The compilers can accept no responsibility for any errors or omissions found on these pages.
The principal printed sources used are as listed below.
- Cheshire County Council : County Health Department, A Cheshire Index. First edition 1953 ; 2nd edition 1955 (reprinted 1968) ' 3rd edition (New Cheshire), 1973.
- General Register Office. Censuses 1851-1971, County Report : Cheshire.
- Guide to the Cheshire Record Office (and Cheshire Diocesan Record Office). Cheshire County Council, 1991.
- Guide to the Civil Registration Districts of Cheshire, 1837-1974. Family History Society of Cheshire, 2nd edition, 1999. ISBN 1-874214-72-7.
- Handlist of Civil Cemeteries in Cheshire. Cheshire Record Office, 1995.
- History of the County of Chester (Victoria County History Series). Vol. 2 : Administrative History, etc. Edited by B. E. Harris. Oxford University Press (for the Institute of Historical Research), 1979.
- Kelly's Directory of Cheshire (mainly the 1892 and 1939 editions)
- Langston, B. Cheshire Parish Registers : A Summary Guide (6th edition), 2002
- Office of Population Censuses and Surveys, 1971 Census : Index of Place Names in England and Wales. Revised edition, 1974.
- Phillips, A. D. M. & Phillips, C. B., A New Historical Atlas of Cheshire. Cheshire County Council/Cheshire Community Council Publications Trust, 2001
- Webb, C., National Index of Parish Registers. Vol. 10, part 1 : Cheshire. Society of Genealogists, 1995. ISBN 1-85951-008-6.
- Youngs, Frederic A., jr, Guide to the Local Administrative Units of England. Vol. 2: Northern England. Published by the Offices of the Royal Historical Society, London, 1991. (Royal Society Guides and Handbooks No. 17).