"WITHINGTON (OLD), a township in the parish of PRESTBURY, hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 7½ miles (N,N,W.) from Congleton, containing 164 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Old Withington was a township in Chelford chapelry of Prestbury ancient parish, Macclesfield hundred (SJ 8171), , which became a civil parish in 1866.
- In 1936 the civil parish was abolished to become part of Withington
- It included the hamlet of Acre Nook.
- The population was 137 in 1801, 189 in 1851, and 121 in 1901.
For the period after 1936, see Withington.
- Prestbury: St. Peter (Church of England). The ancient parish church for the township of Old Withington.
- Chelford: St. John the Evangelist (Church of England). An ancient chapel to Prestbury: St. Peter, which became the district church for Old Withington in 1880.
- Lower Withington: St. Peter (Church of England). A chapel of ease to Chelford, St John the Evangelist, built in 1891.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Old Withington to another place.
- 1936 April 1 — Abolished and incorporated into Withington (1115 acres, pop. 125 in 1931)
You can see the administrative areas in which Old Withington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ821725 (Lat/Lon: 53.24945, -2.269706), Old Withington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)