"OVER, a parish having separate jurisdiction, locally in the first division of the hundred of Eddisbury, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the town of Over (formerly a market-town), the chapelry of Wettenhall, and the township of Little Oulton, and containing 2514 inhabitants of which number, 2157 are in the town of Over, 16 ¼miles (E.) from Chester, and 168 (N.W. byN.) from London. ... More" [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Over, also a township in the ancient parishes of Over and Whitegate, Eddisbury hundred (SJ 6466), became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1936 to become parts of Winsford, Darnhall, Marton (near Winsford) and Davenham.
- It included the hamlets of Blakeden, Bradford Wood, Catsclough, Church Hill, Gavel Green, Hebden Green, Kilnhouses, Littler, Meadowbank, Pettypool (part), Salterswall, Smithy Bank, Swanlow, Townfields, Vale Royal, Ways Green, Wharton and Whitegate.
- The population was 881 in 1801, 3167 in 1851, and 7063 in 1901.
- Over: St. Chad (Church of England). The ancient parish church for part (1839 acres, pop. 4259 in 1871) of the township of Over.
- Whitegate: St. Mary (Church of England). The ancient parish church for part (2688 acres, pop. 779 in 1871) of the township of Over.
- Winsford: Christ Church (Church of England). Built in 1844 as a chapel to Over St. Chad. Closed in 1974.
- Over: St. John the Evangelist (Church of England). The district church for part of Over from 1863.
- Sandiway: St. John the Evangelist (Church of England). The district church for part of Over from 1935.
- Winsford: St. Joseph (Roman Catholic). Founded in 1949.
- Over, St. Paul's Methodist Church (Free). Built in 1836 on Over Lane, rebuilt in 1877 on High Street, closed in 1977. Registers 1868-1977 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Over, Central Methodist Chapel (Primitive). Built in 1842 on Chapel Street, rebuilt in 1871 on High Street, closed in 1976. Registers 1861-1976 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Over, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Swanlow Lane. Built in 1861, closed in 1954. Registers 1925-1949 are at the Cheshire Archives & Local Studies.
- Over, Methodist Chapel (Primitive), Chester Road. Built in 1876.
- Over, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), High Street. Built in 1883, closed in 1977. Registers 1887-1977 are at the Cheshire Archives & Local Studies.
- Meadowbank, Methodist Chapel (Primitive). Built in 1897.
- Over, St. Andrew's Methodist Chapel. Opened 1977.
|St Chad, Over, Church of England|
|St John the Evangelist, Over, Church of England|
|St Mary, Whitegate, Church of England|
|Swanlow Lane, Over, United Reformed Church|
Transcription for Over from Samuel Lewis - A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Over to another place.
Places in Over ancient parish with separate pages
- 1883 March 25 — Gained a detached part of Marton (near Winsford) (4 acres, pop. 0 in 1891), and lost a detached part to Marton (near Winsford) (less than 1 acre, pop. 0 in 1891)
- 1894 — Lost the former detached part of Marton (near Winsford) (4 acres, pop. 0 in 1891), which became a separate unnamed parish in Northwich Rural Distict under the provisions of the Local Government Act, 1894
- 1927 October 1 — Gained part of Marton (near Winsford) (7 acres, pop. 0 in 1921)
- 1936 April 1 — Abolished and divided between Darnhall (33 acres, pop. 24 in 1931), Davenham (1 acre, pop. 0 in 1931), Marton (near Winsford) (11 acres, pop. 4 in 1931) and Winsford (4488 acres, pop. 7278 in 1931)
You can see the administrative areas in which Over has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ629639 (Lat/Lon: 53.171355, -2.557154), Over which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Winsford Urban Sanitary District (1875-94)*
- Winsford Urban District (1894-1936)
* The former detached part of Marton (near Winsford) which was transferred to Over in 1883 remained in Northwich Rural Sanitary District until it became a separate parish under the provisions of the Local Government Act, 1894.