Hide

Over Alderley

hide
Hide
Hide
  • Over Alderley was a township in Alderley ancient parish, Macclesfield hundred (SJ 8676), which became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlets of Adders Moss, Adshead Green, Broadheath, Finlow Hill, Harebarrow, Harehill, Shaw Cross, Vardentown and Whirley.
  • The population was 408 in 1801, 450 in 1851, 358 in 1901, 282 in 1951, and 335 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Churches

  • Alderley: St. Mary (Church of England). The ancient parish church for the township of Over Alderley.
  • Birtles: St. Catherine (Church of England). The district church for Over Alderley from 1890.
  • Over Alderley, Methodist Chapel (New Connexion). Built in 1863.
topup

Civil Registration

  • Macclesfield (1837-1998)
  • Cheshire East (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Prestbury (1828-1974)
  • Macclesfield (1974+)
topup

Historical Geography

  • 1936 April 1 — Gained part of Birtles (less than 1 acre, pop. 0 in 1931)
  • 1981 April 4 — Gained part of Henbury, and lost part to Henbury
topup

Politics & Government

  • Macclesfield Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Macclesfield Rural District (1894-1974)
  • Macclesfield (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Macclesfield
topup

Voting Registers

  • North Cheshire (1832-67)
  • East Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Knutsford (1885-1948)
  • Macclesfield (1948-74)