"PARTINGTON, a township in the parish of BOWDON, hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, 5 miles (N. W.) from Altrincham, containing 434 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Independents. The village is situated on the navigable river Mersey, where are extensive paper-mills, a mill-board manufactory, a large corn-mill, and two tan-yards." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Partington was a township in Bowdon ancient parish, Bucklow hundred (SJ 7191), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- Since 1974 it has been part of the county of Greater Manchester.
- The population was 358 in 1801, 485 in 1851, 587 in 1901, 957 in 1951, and 7327 in 2001.
- 1920 April 1 — Gained part of Irlam, Lancashire (33 acres, pop. 0 in 1921), and lost parts to Irlam, Lancashire (70 acres, pop. 0 in 1921) and Rixton with Glazebrook, Lancashire (6 acres, pop. 0 in 1921), when the boundary with the county of Lancashire was altered to follow the course of the Manchester Ship Canal
- Altrincham Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Altrincham Rural District (1894-95), Bucklow Rural District (1895-1974)
- Trafford Metropolitan Borough [Greater Manchester] (1974+)