"POWNAL-FEE, a township in the parish of WILMSLOW, hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 3¾ miles (S. by W.) from Stockport, containing 1432 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Pownall Fee was a township in Wilmslow ancient parish, Macclesfield hundred (SJ 8985), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1894 to become parts of Wilmslow and Styal.
- The population was 1122 in 1801 and 1907 in 1851.
- 1883 — Lost detached part No.1 to Bollinfee (2 acres, pop. 0 in 1891) and detached part No.3 to Fulshaw (less than 1 acre, pop. 37 in 1891)
- 1888 March 24 — Lost detached No.4 part to Bollinfee (63 acres, pop. 28 in 1891, including Lindon Grove Academy and Leigh's Farm), and detached part No.2 to Fulshaw (5 acres, pop. 0 in 1891)
- 1894 — Abolished and divided between Styal (pop. 1153 in 1901) and Wilmslow (pop. 2750 in 1901)
- Altrincham Rural Sanitary District (partly, 1875-94) *
- Chorley Urban Sanitary District (partly, 1875-88) **
- Wilmslow Urban Sanitary District (partly, 1875-94) ***
* The part in Altrincham Rural Sanitary District (1875-94) became the civil parish of Styal in 1894.
** The part in Chorley Urban Sanitary District (1875-88) became part of the civil parish of Bollinfee in 1888.
*** The part in Wilmslow Urban Sanitary District (1875-94) became part of the civil parish of Wilmslow in 1894.