"POYNTON, a chapelry in the parish of PRESTBURY, hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 5¼ miles (S. S. E.) from Stockport, containing 540 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Sir George Warren, Bart. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt, in 1789, by the late Sir George Warren, Bart., K.B., and some of the windows exhibit the arms of the Warren .and Bulkeley families, in stained glass. A school-house was built by subscription in 1703. There are several collieries in the neighbourhood. A court baron is held twice a year." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Poynton was a township in Prestbury ancient parish, Macclesfield hundred (SJ 9283), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was renamed Poynton with Worth in 1881.
- It includes the hamlets of Clumber, Coppiceside, Hockley, Lowerpark, Midway (part), Newtown, Petre Bank, Poynton Green and Woodside.
- The population was 432 in 1801, and 1247 in 1851.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Poynton to another place.
- 1880 December 21 — Gained the whole of Worth
- 1881 April 2 — Renamed Poynton with Worth
You can see the administrative areas in which Poynton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ919836 (Lat/Lon: 53.349226, -2.12314), Poynton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)