"RAINOW, a chapelry in the parish of PRESTBURY, hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 2½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Macclesfield, containing 1530 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £800 royal bounty, and £1800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Prestbury. The chapel, called Jenkin, or Saltersford chapel, was built by the inhabitants, in 1739. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists, with a Sunday school attached; and there are several trifling endowments for the education of children. The Roman road from Buxton to Manchester crossed the township, within the limits of which it is supposed there was once a Roman station. The manufacture of silk and cotton is carried on here, though the former has been in a declining state for some time. Near Kerridge hill are extensive quarries of flag-stone and slate." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
"SALTERSFORD, a chapelry in the parish of PRESTBURY, hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 6 miles (E. N. E.) from Macclesfield. The population is returned with the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £ 800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Vicar" of Prestbury. Saltersford gives the inferior title of baron to the family of Stanhope, Earls of Courtown." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Rainow was a township and chapelry in Prestbury ancient parish, Macclesfield hundred (SJ 9677), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Brookhouse, Bullhill, Calrofold, Cester Bridge, Charles Head, Eddisbury, Four Lane Ends, Ginclough, Gorseybrow, Harrop, Hedgerow, Hough Green, Hough Hole, Ingersley, Jenkin Chapel, Kerridge End, Lamaload, Nab End, Pedley Fold, Plungebrook, Redmoor Brow, Saltersford, Tower Hill, Walkers Barn, Yearnslow and Waggonshaw Brow.
- The population was 1390 in 1801, 1605 in 1851, 1205 in 1901, 1088 in 1951, and 1282 in 2001.
- Prestbury: St. Peter (Church of England). The ancient parish church for the township of Rainow.
- Rainow: Holy Trinity (Church of England). An ancient chapel to Prestbury: St. Peter, which became the district church for part of Rainow in 1863.
- Saltersford: St. John the Baptist. A chapel to Prestbury: St. Peter from 1770, becoming the district church for the remainder of Rainow in 1864.
- Rainow, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan). Founded in 1807, Built in 1878. Registers 1808-1837 and 1912-1975 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Macclesfield (1837-1998)
- Cheshire East (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rainow to another place.
- 1992 April 1 — Gained part of Higher Hurdsfield, and lost part to Higher Hurdsfield
You can see the administrative areas in which Rainow has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ951760 (Lat/Lon: 53.280952, -2.07495), Rainow which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Macclesfield Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Macclesfield Rural District (1894-1974)
- Macclesfield (1974-2009)
- Cheshire East (2009+)