Hide

Rostherne

hide
Hide

"ROSTHERN, a parish, in the county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the chapelries of High Leigh and Peover (Superior), and the townships of Agden, Bollington, Martall with Little Warford, Mere, Millington, Rosthern, Tabley (Superior), and Tatton, in the hundred of BUCKLOW, and the township of Snelson, in that of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, and containing 3791 inhabitants, of which number, 373 are in the township of Rosthern, 3½ miles (N. by W.) from Nether Knutsford. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's hooks at £10, endowed with £ 1200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of W. Egerton, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains several ancient monuments, and in the chapel of the Egerton family is a sumptuous one, by Bacon, to the memory of Samuel Egerton, Esq., who died in 1780." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Rostherne, also a township in Rostherne ancient parish, Bucklow hundred (SJ 7484), became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlets of Birkinheath, Bucklow Hill (part) and Yarwood Heath.
  • The population was 235 in 1801, 388 in 1851, 413 in 1901, 245 in 1951, and 160 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Altrincham (1837-98)
  • Bucklow (1898-1974)
  • Macclesfield (1974-98)
  • Cheshire East (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Bucklow (1828-74)
  • Altrincham (1874-1974)
  • Macclesfield (1974+)
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Rostherne which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"ROSTHERNE, a parish and township, chiefly in the hundred of Bucklow, but partly in that of Macclesfield, county Chester, 3 miles N.W. of Nether Knutsford, its post town, and 3½ from Bowden station on the South Junction, Manchester, and Altrincham railway. The village is situated near the river Bollin, and is wholly agricultural. The parish includes High Leigh and Marthall chapelries, with nine townships The soil is chiefly clay and sand. The impropriate tithes belong to the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Bollington annexed, in the diocese of Chester, value £300. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice with a pinnacled and embattled tower containing chimes, clock, and six bells. The interior of the church contains several monuments by Bacon, and has a mortuary chapel of the Egerton family. In addition to the parish church are the following district churches, viz: High Leigh, High Leigh Chaplaincy, Marthall, and Over Tabley, the livings of which are all perpetual curacies, varying in value from £160 to £60. The parochial charities produce £7 10s. per annum. There are Church schools for both sexes. The boys' school has a lending library adjoining. W. T. Egerton, Esq., is lord of the manor and owner of all the soil."

"AGDEN, a township in the parishes of Bowdon and Rostherne, in the hundred of Bucklow, in the county palatine of Chester, 4 miles S.W. of Altrincham."

topup

Historical Geography

Places associated with Rostherne ancient parish with separate pages

You can see the administrative areas in which Rostherne has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ738801 (Lat/Lon: 53.31687, -2.394161), Rostherne which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • Altrincham Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Altrincham Rural District (1894-95)
  • Bucklow Rural District (1895-1974)
  • Macclesfield (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Altrincham (1836-95)
  • Bucklow (1895-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • North Cheshire (1832-67)
  • Mid Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Altrincham (1885-1945)
  • Bucklow (1945-48)
  • Knutsford (1949-74)