"SALE, a township in the parish of ASHTON-upon-MERSEY, though locally in that of Great-Budworth, hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, 2 miles from Ashton upon Mersey, containing 1049 inhabitants. The Duke of Bridgewater's canal passes through the township." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Sale was a township in Ashton upon Mersey ancient parish, Bucklow hundred (SJ 8091), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- Since 1974 it has been an unparished area in the county of Greater Manchester.
- It includes the hamlets of Cross Street and Sale Moor.
- The population was 819 in 1801, 1720 in 1851, 12088 in 1901, 43168 in 1951, and 56823 in 2001.
|St Anne, Sale, Church of England|
|St Francis, Sale, Church of England|
|St Paul, Sale, Church of England|
|Montague Road, Sale, United Reformed Church|
|Hesketh Road, Sale, Judism|
|Market Street, Sale, Methodist (Primitive)|
|Northenden Road, Sale, Methodist (Primitive)|
|School Road, Sale, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|Trinity Chapel, Sale, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|Northenden Road, Sale, Presbyterian|
|Old Cross Street/Chapel Road, Sale, Unitarian|
|Holy Family, Sale, Roman Catholic|
|St Joseph, Sale, Roman Catholic|
|St Margaret Ward, Sale, Roman Catholic|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Sale to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Sale has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ790915 (Lat/Lon: 53.419877, -2.317448), Sale which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Sale Urban Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Sale Urban District (1894-1974)
- Trafford Metropolitan Borough [Greater Manchester] (1974+)