Hide

Sandbach

hide
Hide

"SANDBACH, a parish, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the market-town of Sandbach, the chapelries of Church-Hulme, and Goostrey with Barnshaw, and the townships of Arclid, Blackden, Bradwell, Cotton, Cranage, Leese, Twemlow, Wheelock, and a small portion of Rudheath, in the hundred of NORTHWICH, and the townships of Bechton and Hassall, in that of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, and containing 6369 inhabitants, of which number, 2905 are in the town of Sandbach, 26 miles (E. by S.) from Chester, and 162 (N.W.) from London. ... More" " [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

"DEAN (HILL), a hamlet in that part of the parish of SANDBACH which is in the hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 1½ mile (S. E. by E.) from Sandbach, with which the population is returned." [From Samuel LewisA Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Sandbach, also a township in Sandbach ancient parish, Northwich hundred (SJ 7560), became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlets of Boothlane Head, Brickhouses, Ettiley Heath, Forge Fields, Hindheath. Elworth and Marsh Green were transferred from Bradwall in 1936.
  • The population was 1844 in 1801, 4659 in 1851, 5558 in 1901, 9253 in 1951, and 17630 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Cemeteries

  • Sandbach Cemetery, The Hill. Opened 1934.
topup

Civil Registration

  • Congleton (1837-1937)
  • Crewe (1937-74)
  • Congleton & Crewe (1974-88)
  • South Cheshire (1988-98)
  • Cheshire East (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Northwich (1828-99)
  • Middlewich & Sandbach (1899-1907)
  • Sandbach (1907-67)
  • South East Cheshire (1967-74)
  • Congleton (1974-92)
  • South Cheshire (1992+)
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Sandbach which are provided by:

topup

Directories

Transcription for Sandbach from Samuel Lewis - A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831)

topup

Gazetteers

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"SANDBACH, a parish, township, and market town in the hundreds of Northwich and Nantwich, county Chester, 26½ miles S.E. of Chester, and 4½ from Crewe. It is a station on the Manchester and Crewe section of the London and North-Western railway. The parish, which is situated in the midst of a fertile tract of country, is extensive, comprising the townships of Arclid, Betchton, Bradwell, Blackden, Cotton, Cranage, Hassall, Leese, Radheeth, Sandbach, Twemlow, and Wheelock, with the chapelries of Elworth, Church-Hulme, Wheelock, and Goostrey. The parish is traversed by the Grand Trunk canal and the Manchester and Crewe railway. The surface is in general flat, but from certain points views are obtained of the Vale Royal, the hills of Staffordshire and Derbyshire, and the distant mountains of Wales. The land is peculiarly adapted for grazing, the pasture being rich and luxuriant. The town stands on an eminence overlooking the small river Wheelock, which falls into the Dane, after putting in motion a large silk mill. The town is irregularly built, but contains several good streets, and the houses are in general neat. It has been considerably improved of late years, and is now lighted with gas and amply supplied with water. The principal public buildings are the townhall, occupying the S. side of the market place, with the butter market beneath; the assembly rooms, erected in 1857 at a cost of £2,800, containing a public hall, library, reading rooms for the upper and lower classes, and county offices, with lock-ups, constables' rooms, and residence for the principal police officer. There are besides a savings-bank, erected in 1854 in the Elizabethan style of architecture; gasworks, constructed in 1847; and public baths. The inhabitants formerly carried on a brisk trade in malt, and the manufacture of worsted yarn and stuffs, but these have been superseded by the throwsting and manufacture of silk, for which there are extensive factories.

topup

Historical Geography

Places associated with Sandbach ancient parish with separate pages

 

You can see the administrative areas in which Sandbach has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ763646 (Lat/Lon: 53.177631, -2.355537), Sandbach which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • Sandbach Urban Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Sandbach Urban District (1894-1974)
  • Congleton (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Congleton
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • Mid Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Crewe (1885-1948)
  • Knutsford (1949-54)
  • Crewe (1955-74)