Hide

Shotwick

hide
Hide

"SHOTWICK, a parish in the higher division of the hundred of WIRRALL, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Cappenhurst, Kingswood, Great Saughall, Little Saughall, Shotwick, and Woodbank, otherwise Rough Shotwick, and containing 719 inhabitants, of which number, 94 are in the township of Shotwick, 6 miles (N.W.) from Chester. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £18 per annum, and £240 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, has a curious Norman door, and some portions in the later style of English architecture." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Shotwick, also a township in Shotwick ancient parish, Wirral hundred (SJ 3472), became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It included part of the hamlet of Two Mills.
  • The population was 95 in 1801, 100 in 1851, 82 in 1901, 70 in 1951, and 58 in 2001.
  • In 2015 the civil parish was abolished and incorporated into Puddington.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Great Boughton (1837-69)
  • Chester (1870-1937)
  • West Cheshire (1937-74)
  • Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
  • Cheshire West (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)
topup

Court Records

  • Wirral (1828-71)
  • Chester Castle (1871-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2001)
  • Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
  • West Cheshire (2012-15)
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Shotwick which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"SHOTWICK, a parish and township in the higher division of Wirrall hundred, county Chester, 5 miles N.W. of Chester, its post town, and 3 S. of Sutton. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the N. bank of the river Dee, and is wholly agricultural. The soil is a stiff clay, and the surface level. About two-thirds of the land are meadow and pasture, and the remainder arable. The parish includes the townships of Capenhurst, Great and Little Saughall, and Woodbank. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Chester, value £100, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient edifice with an embattled tower. The living was once held by Dr. Samuel Clarke. There is also a district church at Capenhurst, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £120. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum."

"CAPENHURST, (or Cappenhurst), a district parish and township in the parish of Shotwick, hundred of Wirrall, in the county palatine of Chester, 5 miles to the N. of Chester. The Chester and Birkenhead railway passes by it. In the village is Capenhurst Hall. The church has been recently erected. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £120, in the patronage of the Rev. R. Richardson, incumbent.

"GREAT and LITTLE SAUGHALL, townships in the parish of Shotwick, higher division of Wirrall hundred, county Chester, 4 miles N.W. of Chester, and 2 W. of Hollington railway station. The villages are of small extent, and wholly agricultural. There is a National school for both sexes. The Independents, Baptists, and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship.

"KINGSWOOD FIELDS, a hamlet in the parish of Shotwick, county Chester, 5 miles N.W. of Chester."

topup

Historical Geography

Places associated with Shotwick ancient parish with separate pages

 

  • 2015 April 1 — Abolished and incorporated into Puddington.

You can see the administrative areas in which Shotwick has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ356714 (Lat/Lon: 53.235467, -2.966308), Shotwick which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • Chester Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Chester Rural District (1894-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Great Boughton (1837-53)
  • Hawarden (1853-71)
  • Chester (1871-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1915)
  • Chester (1918-74)