Stoke (near Chester)
"STOKE, a parish in the higher division of the hundred of WIRRALL, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Great Stanney, Little Stanney, and Stoke, and part of that of Whitby, and containing 461 inhabitants,of which number, 129 are in the township of Stoke, 4¾ miles (N. by E.) from Chester. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Sir H. E. Bunbury, Bart. The church, which is the burial place of the Bunbury family, has a Norman doorway, some ancient wooden screen-work, and a small chapel attached to the south side of the chancel: it was partially rebuilt in 1827, and has received an addition of fifty five free sittings, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £50 towards defraying the expense. A school, founded here about 1670, by Sir Thomas Bunbury, Bart., is endowed with the interest of £200." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Stoke (or Stoak), also a township in Stoak ancient parish, Wirral hundred (SJ 4173), became a civil parish in 1866.
- The population was 120 in 1801, 93 in 1851, 67 in 1901, 74 in 1951, and 145 in 2001.
- The civil parish was renamed Stoak in 2015.
- Great Boughton (1837-69)
- Chester (1870-1937)
- West Cheshire (1937-74)
- Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
- Cheshire West (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)
- Wirral (1828-71)
- Chester Castle (1871-1974)
- Chester (1974-2001)
- Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
- West Cheshire (2012-15)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stoke (near Chester) to another place.
"STOKE, a parish and township in the higher division of Wirrall hundred, county Chester, 5 miles N.E. of Chester, its post town, and 3½ E. of Mollington. The village is situated on the Mersey canal. The parish includes the township of Little Stanney and Whitby. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Chester, value £130. The church, dedicated to St. Laurence, is an ancient structure, and was restored in 1827. The parochial charities produce about £28 per annum."
"LITTLE STANNEY, a township in the parish of Stoke, hundred of Higher Wirrall, county Chester, 1 mile S.W. of Great Stanney, and 6½ miles N. of Chester.
"WHITBY, a township in the parishes of Eastham and Stoke, higher division of Wirrall hundred, county Chester, 6 miles N. of Chester. The village is situated near the Dee and Mersey canal, which here communicates with the river Mersey, on which are extensive docks and wharves."
Places associated with Stoak ancient parish with separate pages
- Backford; Great Stanney; Ince; Little Stanney; Stanlow ??; Stanney, Great
- Stanney, Little; Stoak; Stoke (near Chester); Whitby
You can see the administrative areas in which Stoke (near Chester) has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ413749 (Lat/Lon: 53.268134, -2.881851), Stoke (near Chester) which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Chester Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Chester Rural District (1894-1974)
- Chester (1974-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)