SUTTON (near Macclesfield)
"SUTTON, a township in the parish of PRESTBURY, hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 2¼ miles (S. E. by S.) from Macclesfield, containing 2991 inhabitants, who are principally employed in the silk manufacture. Here are two small bequests, by Catherine Nixon, in 1689, and John Upton, applied to the instruction of poor children. This was the seat of the family of Holinshed, the historian, and is supposed to have been his birthplace." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Sutton was a township in Prestbury ancient parish, Macclesfield hundred (SJ 9370), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Blakelow, Fools Nook, Gurnett, Jarman, Langley, Lyme Green, Oakgrove, Ridge Hill, Sutton Lane Ends and Symondley.
- The population was 1739 in 1801, 7525 in 1851, 1294 in 1901, 1948 in 1951, and 2464 in 2001.
- Prestbury: St. Peter (Church of England). The ancient parish church for the township of Sutton.
- Sutton: St. George (Church of England). Built in 1822 as an independent chapel, becoming a chapel to Prestbury: St. Peter in 1828, and the district church for Sutton in 1835. Closed in 1997.
- Sutton: St. James (Church of England). Built in 1840 as a chapel to St. George, becoming a district church for part of Sutton in 1860.
- Sutton: St. Barnabas (Church of England). A chapel to St. George, founded by 1938.
- Sutton, Methodist Chapel, Hollin Lane (Wesleyan). Built in 1828.
- Sutton, Methodist (Brunswick) Chapel (Wesleyan), Bridge Street/Mill Lane. Built in 1824, closed in 1986. Records of baptisms 1828-1966, marriages 1861-1983 and burials 1845-1959 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Sutton, Methodist (Bourne) Chapel, Byron Street. Built in 1905(?), closed in 1960. Records of baptisms 1919-1959 and marriages 1906-1960 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Langley, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan). Built in 1858.
- Sutton Lane Ends, Methodist Chapel (New Connexion).
|St Barnabas, Sutton (Macclesfield), Church of England|
|St James, Sutton (Macclesfield), Church of England|
- Macclesfield (1837-1998)
- Cheshire East (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
- Prestbury (wholly, 1828-35 and 1894-1974 ; partly, 1835-94)
- Macclesfield (Borough) (1835-94) *
- Macclesfield (1974+)
* The part in Macclesfield (Borough) (1835-94) was added to Macclesfield civil parish in 1894.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from SUTTON (near Macclesfield) to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which SUTTON (near Macclesfield) has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ930712 (Lat/Lon: 53.237782, -2.106338), SUTTON (near Macclesfield) which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Macclesfield Municipal Borough (partly, 1835-94) *
- Macclesfield Rural Sanitary District (partly, 1875-94)
- Macclesfield Urban Sanitary District (partly, 1875-94) *
- Macclesfield Rural District (1894-1974)
- Macclesfield (1974-2009)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
* The part in Macclesfield Municipal Borough (1835-94) and Macclesfield Urban Sanitary District (1875-94) was added to Macclesfield civil parish in 1894.