Built in 1822 as an independent chapel, which became an Anglican chapel in 1828 serving to Prestbury: St. Peter. In 1835 it became the district church for the township of Sutton. The boundaries of "The District of Sutton" were described in the London Gazette on 2 October 1835:
"The boundary to commence on the High London-road, where it enters the township of Sutton from that of Macclesfield, then going south west, following the boundary between these townships (as marked by the meer stones in the perambulation of the borough of Macclesfield in 1822) to where this nieets the boundary of Gawsworth parish, following this to Moss-pool and Lingards, where it meets the boundary of Bosley township; along this to where it meets the township of Wincle, turning north east to Greenway-bridge till it meets the township of Wildboar Clough; along this to Tenter-bank where it meets the township of Macclesfield-forest; along this to Teg's Nose where it returns to the township of Macclesfield, and turning westward along the boundary of the borough by the Sheep-wash, to where it again crosses the High London-road, where the boundary commenced"
The district was affected by the following boundary changes:
- 1860 — reduced when part of the township of Sutton was transferred to Sutton: St. James.
- 1962 January 25 — (details not available)
The church closed in 1997.
C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts