Hide

Tabley Inferior

hide
Hide

"TABLEY (INFERIOR), a township in that part of the parish of GREAT-BUDWORTH which is in the hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, 3 miles (S.W.by.W.) from Nether Knutsford, containing 110 inhabitants. Here was formerly a chapel, the site of which is still called Chapel field. Tabley confers the title of baron on the family of Leicester, created July 16th, 1826, at which period Sir John Fleming Leicester, Bart., a gentleman distinguished for his munificent patronage of the fine arts, and encouragement of native artists, was raised to the peerage by that title; he died in June 1827." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Tabley Inferior (or Nether Tabley) was a township in Great Budworth ancient parish, Bucklow hundred (SJ 7177), which became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlet of Nether Tabley.
  • The population was 127 in 1801, 123 in 1851, 129 in 1901, 109 in 1951, and 137 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Altrincham (1837-98)
  • Bucklow (1898-1974)
  • Macclesfield (1974-98)
  • Cheshire East (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Bucklow (1828-1974)
  • Macclesfield (1974+)
topup

Historical Geography

  • 1936 April 1 — Gained part of Wincham (220 acres, pop. 7 in 1931)
topup

Politics & Government

  • Altrincham Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Altrincham Rural District (1894-95), Bucklow Rural District (1895-1974)
  • Macclesfield (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Altrincham (1836-95)
  • Bucklow (1895-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • North Cheshire (1832-67)
  • Mid Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Knutsford (1885-1974)