"TARPORLEY, a parish in the first division of the hundred of EDDISBURY, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the market-town of Tarporley, and the townships of Eaton, Rushton, and Utkinton, and containing 2123 inhabitants, of which number, 800 are in the town of Tarporley, 10½ miles (E. S. E.) from Chester, and 172 (N. W.) from London. This town, which is situated on the great road from Chester to London, has a neat appearance, and consists of one long street, which is well paved, and terminated at the southern extremity by the ancient manor-house. At the close of the thirteenth century, a grant of a market and fair was obtained by Hugh de Thorpley, then proprietor of the manor. The market is on Thursday; and fairs are held May 1st, the first Monday after August 24th, and December llth. The town was governed by a mayor from 1297 to 1348, but now only two constables are appointed. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £20. 3. 4., and in the joint patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Chester, Lord Alvanley, and the Rev. Sir P. G. Egerton, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Helen, is an ancient structure of red stone, and contains some good monuments. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A school, situated in the churchyard, was endowed with £20 per annum by Lady Jane Done, who left also a small bequest for apprenticing poor children, but there are no free scholars. Almshouses have been founded for four poor widows, each of whom receives thirty shillings per annum." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
Tarporley, also a township in Tarporley ancient parish, Eddisbury hundred (SJ 5562), became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Arderne (part), Birch Heath, Cobblers Green and Rhuddall Heath.
- The population was 674 in 1801, 1171 in 1851, 1454 in 1901, 1538 in 1951, and 2634 in 2001.
|St Helen, Tarporley, Church of England|
|St Thomas, Eaton (near Tarporley), Church of England|
|High Street, Tarporley, Baptist|
|Eaton (near Tarporley), Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|High Street, Tarporley, Methodist (Primitive)|
|High Street, Tarporley, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|St Thomas a Becket, Tarporley, Roman Catholic|
- Nantwich (1837-92)
- Chester (1892-1937)
- Northwich (1937-74)
- Vale Royal (1974-98)
- Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tarporley to another place.
Places associated with Tarporley ancient parish with separate pages
You can see the administrative areas in which Tarporley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ571640 (Lat/Lon: 53.17095, -2.643971), Tarporley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Tarporley Urban Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Tarporley Urban District (1894-1936)
- Northwich Rural District (1936-74)
- Vale Royal (1974-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)