Hide

Tarvin

hide
Hide

"TARVIN, a parish partly in the lower division of the hundred of BROXTON, but chiefly in the second division of the hundred of EDDISBURY, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Ashton, Bruen-Stapleford, Burton, Clotton-Hoofield, Dudden, Foulk-Stapleford, Hockenhull, Horton with Peek, Kelsall, Mouldsworth, and Tarvin, and containing 3485 inhabitants, of which number, 1022 are in the township of Tarvin, 6 miles (E. by N.) from Chester. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £19.11.0½., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is in the later style of English architecture, with a fine tower considerably enriched with sculpture, though now much mutilated. Courts leet and baron are held here. A grammar school was founded in 1600, with a house for the master, by John Pickering, who endowed it with £200, which was laid out in lands now producing an annual income of £18, for which twenty children are instructed. The celebrated calligrapher, John Thomason, was master of this school; he died in 1740. About the middle of the sixteenth century, Sir John Savage, lord of the manor, procured a charter for a market and a fair to be held here, which have been long disused. During the great civil Var, Tarvin was a considerable military post, often taken and retaken by each party till September 1644, when it fell into the power of the parliament, and so remained to the end or the war." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Tarvin, also a township in Tarvin ancient parish, Eddisbury hundred (SJ 4966), became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlets of Austins Hill, Broombank, Duddon Heath (part), Old Moss, Oscroft, Tarvin Sands (part), Weetwood and Willington Corner (part).
  • The population was 768 in 1801, 1181 in 1851, 1093 in 1901, 1505 in 1951, and 2693 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Great Boughton (1837-69)
  • Chester (1870-1937)
  • West Cheshire (1937-74)
  • Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
  • Cheshire East (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Eddisbury (1828-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2001)
  • Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
  • West Cheshire (2012+)
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Tarvin which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"TARVIN, a parish chiefly in the second division of Eddisbury hundred, but partly in the lower division of Broxton hundred, county Chester, 5½ miles N.E. of Chester, and 5 N.W. of Tarporley. The village, which is large, is situated near the border of Delamere Forest, at the junction of the roads from London and Manchester to Chester. The Chester and Nantwich canal and the Crewe and Chester railway run just within the southern boundary of the parish. During the civil war of Charles I. it was a considerable military post, and after several vicissitudes was held by the parliament to the end of the war. In the middle of the 16th century Sir John Savage, of Rock Savage, then lord of the manor, procured a charter for a market and fair, which have been long disused. The parish contains the chapelries of Ashton, Hargrave, Kelsall, and Duddon, with 7 other townships There are several quarries of white and red sandstone. The population of the parish in 1861 was 3,319, and of the township of Tarvin with Oscroft 1,074. The impropriation belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Chester, value £563, in the patronage of the bishop. The parish church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient structure with a tower enriched with sculpture, though now much mutilated. It contains the tomb of John Thomason, the celebrated calligrapher. A new church was erected in 1833, and there are chapels-of-ease at Ashton, Hargrave, Duddon, and Kelsall. There, are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. There are a grammar school and a National school, the former endowed with about £20 per annum. Two fairs are held annually for cattle, one in the spring and the other in autumn."

topup

Historical Geography

Places associated with Tarvin ancient parish with separate pages

 

You can see the administrative areas in which Tarvin has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ503665 (Lat/Lon: 53.193463, -2.744994), Tarvin which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • Tarvin Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Tarvin Rural District (1894-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Great Boughton (1837-71)
  • Tarvin (1871-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1948)
  • Northwich (1948-74)