"TATTENHALL, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Golborn-Bellow, Newton by Tattenhall, and Tattenhall, and containing 1016 inhabitants, of which number, 855 are in the township of Tattenhall, 5¾ miles (S. W. by W.) from Tarporley. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £13.17. 6., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester. The church, dedicated to St. Alban, has lately received an addition of one hundred free sittings, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £30 towards defraying the expense. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan Methodists. Dr. Paploe, rector of this parish, who died in 1781, gave money, vested in the purchase of £334 three per cents., for the education of twelve children." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Tattenhall, also a township in Tattenhall ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 4958), became a civil parish in 1866.
- It included the hamlet of Newtown.
- The population was 606 in 1801, 982 in 1851, 975 in 1901, 1049 in 1951, and 1986 in 2001.
- In 2015 the civil parish was abolished and incorporated into Tattenhall & District.
- Great Boughton (1837-69)
- Chester (1870-1937)
- West Cheshire (1937-74)
- Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
- Cheshire West (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)
- Broxton (1828-1974)
- Chester (1974-2001)
- Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
- West Cheshire (2012-15)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tattenhall to another place.
"TATTENHALL, a parish in the lower division of Broxton hundred, county Chester, 7 miles S.E. of Chester, its post town, and 5½ S.W. of Tarporley. It is a station on the Chester and Crewe railway. The village, which is extensive, is situated on a branch of the river Dee. The parish includes the townships of Golbourne-Bellow and Newton. The land is principally devoted to grazing. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Chester, value £277, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Alban, is old, with a tower containing a clock and five bells. In the E. window are fragments of ancient stained glass. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, at which a savings-bank is held, also subscription and reading rooms. The Independents and Wesleyans have chapels. Mackenzie, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"GOLBOURN BELLOW, a township in the parish of Tattenhall, lower division of the hundred of Broxton, county palatine of Chester, 5 miles S.W. of Tarporley, and 7 S.E. of Chester."
"NEWTON-BY-TATTENHALL, a township in the parish of Tattenhall, lower division of Broxton hundred, county Chester, 5 miles S.W. of Tarporley. It is situated near the Chester and Crew railway and Nantwich canal."
You can see the administrative areas in which Tattenhall has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ495586 (Lat/Lon: 53.121894, -2.756539), Tattenhall which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Tarvin Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Tarvin Rural District (1894-74)
- Chester (1974-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)