Hide

Thornton le Moors

hide
Hide

"THORNTON, a parish in the second division of the hundred of EDDISBURY, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Dunham, Elton, Hapsford, Thornton in the Moors, and Wimbolds-Trafford, and containing 853 inhabitants, of which number, 162 are in the township of Thornton in the Moors, 6½ miles (N.N.E.) from Chester. The living is a rectory, Jin the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in tne king's books at £24.7.8½., and in the patronage 01 Lord Berwick. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is partly in the later style of English architecture, with a handsome tower. The Gowey, a tributary stream to the Mersey, runs through the parish. A school is endowed with about £7.10. per annum; the schoolhouse was rebuilt about 1790." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Thornton le Moors, also a township in Thornton ancient parish, Eddisbury hundred (SJ 4474),  became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlet of Thornton Green.
  • The population was 156 in 1801, 186 in 1851, 130 in 1901, 223 in 1951, and 260 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Great Boughton (1837-69)
  • Chester (1870-1937)
  • West Cheshire (1937-74)
  • Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
  • Cheshire West (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Eddisbury (1828-71)
  • Chester Castle (1871-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2001)
  • Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
  • West Cheshire (2012+)
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Thornton le Moors which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"THORNTON-LE-MOORS, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Eddisbury, county Chester, 6½ miles N. of Chester, its post town, and 2 N. of Dunham railway station. The village is situated near the Dee and Mersey canal, and the river Mersey. The parish contains the townships of Dunham-on-the-Hill, Elton, Hapsford, and Wimsbold Trafford. The soil is peaty, except in the higher parts, where it consists of clay or marl. The living is a rectory * in the diocese of Chester, value £508, in the patronage of Hulmore's trustees. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is old. The parochial charities produce about £31 per annum, which go to a school, &c. There is a National school for both sexes. G. C. Leigh, Esq., is lord of the manor."

"DUNHAM, a township in the parish of Thornton le Moors, second division of the hundred of Eddisbury, in the county palatine of Chester, 5 miles S.W. of Frodsham."

"DUNHAM-ON-THE-HILL, a township in the parish of Thornton-le-Moors, second division of the hundred of Eddisbury, in the county palatine of Chester, 6 miles N.E. of Chester, and 4 S.W. of Frodsham, its post town. It is situated near the Bridgwater canal. The Birkenhead, Lancashire, and Cheshire Junction railway passes through the township, and has a station within a short distance of the village. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The Earl of Shrewsbury is lord of the manor."

"ELTON, a township in the parish of Thornton-le-Moors, second division of the hundred of Eddisbury, county palatine of Chester, 4 miles S.W. of Frodsham, and 6 N.E. of Chester. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. The Marquis of Westminster is lord of the manor. Elton Hall is the principal residence."

topup

Historical Geography

Places associated with Thornton ancient parish with separate pages

 

  • 1933 April 1 — Lost part to Ince (277 acres, pop. 0 in 1931)
  • 1963 April 1 — Gained parts of Little Stanney (1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961), Stoke (near Chester) (1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961) and Wervin (1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961), and lost parts to Little Stanney (under 1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961), Stoke (near Chester) (2 hectares, pop. 0 in 1961) and Wervin (1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961)

You can see the administrative areas in which Thornton le Moors has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ457739 (Lat/Lon: 53.259226, -2.81559), Thornton le Moors which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • Chester Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Chester Rural District (1894-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Great Boughton (1837-71)
  • Chester (1871-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1915)
  • Chester (1918-74)