"TILSTON, a parish in the higher division of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Garden, Grafton, Horton, Stretton, and Tilston, and containing 833 inhabitants, of which number, 370 are in the township of Tilston, 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from Malpas. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £12. 2. 11., and in the patronage of the Marquis of Cholmondely. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The Chester canal passes through the parish, and close to the village." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Tilston, also a township in Tilston ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 4651), became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Grafton (from 2015), Hob Hill and Lowcross Hill.
- The population was 257 in 1801, 425 in 1851, 320 in 1901, 377 in 1951, and 627 in 2001.
- Great Boughton (1837-69)
- Chester (1870-1937)
- West Cheshire (1937-74)
- Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
- Cheshire West (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
- Broxton (1828-1974)
- Chester (1974-2001)
- Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
- West Cheshire (2012+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tilston to another place.
"TILSTON, a parish in the higher division of Broxton hundred, county Chester, 3 miles N. of Malpas, its post town, and 7 S. of Tattenhall. It comprises the townships of Card en, Grafton, Horton, and Stretton. It is a meet for the Cheshire hounds. The Chester canal passes through the parish close to the village. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Chester, value £333. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is old, and contains tablets to the Leche family. The parochial charities produce about £21 per annum, of which £16 go to the school. TheWesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels; a Sunday-school being held at the latter."
"CARDEN, a township in the parish of Tilston, hundred of Broxton, in the county palatine of Chester, 4 miles to the N. of Malpas. It is situated near the Broxton Hills. Carden Hall, an old mansion, the seat of the Leche family, was attacked and pillaged by the parliamentary troops in 1643."
"GRAFTON, a township in the parish of Tilston, higher division of the hundred of Broxton, county palatine Chester, 1½ mile N. of Tilston, and 4 miles N.W. of Malpas. Lord Stanley of Alderley is sole proprietor. Old Grafton Hall is now a farmhouse."
"HORTON-BY-MALPAS, a township in the parish of Tilston, higher division of the hundred of Broxton, county Chester, three-quarters of a mile S. of Tilston, and 2 N.W. of Malpas. The Rev. J. Y. Dod is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
"STRETTON, a township in the parish of Tilston, higher division of Broxton hundred, county Chester, 1½ mile N. W. of Tilston, and 4½ miles N.W. of Malpas. The township is small, and wholly agricultural. J. H. Leche, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
You can see the administrative areas in which Tilston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ453508 (Lat/Lon: 53.052064, -2.817092), Tilston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Tarvin Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Tarvin Rural District (1894-74)
- Chester (1974-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)