Hide

Twemlow

hide
Hide

"TWEMLOW, a township in that part of the parish of SANDBACH which is in the hundred of NORTHWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 5¼ miles (E. N. E.) from Middlewich, containing 130 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Twemlow was a township in Goostrey chapelry of Sandbach ancient parish, Northwich hundred (SJ 7768), which became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlet of Saltersford (part).
  • The population of was 131 in 1801, 123 in 1851, 143 in 1901, 176 in 1951, and 168 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Congleton (1837-1937)
  • Crewe (1937-74)
  • Congleton & Crewe (1974-88)
  • South Cheshire (1988-98)
  • Cheshire East (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Northwich (1828-99)
  • Middlewich & Sandbach (1899-1907)
  • Middlewich (1907-67)
  • South East Cheshire (1967-74)
  • Congleton (1974-92)
  • South Cheshire (1992+)
topup

Historical Geography

  • 1889 March 24 — Gained detached part No. 6 of Rudheath (68 acres, pop. 0 in 1891)
topup

Politics and Government

  • Congleton Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Congleton Rural District (1894-1974)
  • Congleton (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law, etc.

  • Congleton
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • Mid Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Knutsford (1885-1974)