UPTON (near Macclesfield)
"UPTON, a township in the parish of PRESTBURY, hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 1½ mile (N. W.) from Macclesfield, containing 52 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Upton was a township in Prestbury ancient parish, Macclesfield hundred (SJ 9075), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1936 to become parts of Macclesfield and Prestbury.
- The population was 56 in 1801, 111 in 1851, and 224 in 1901.
- Prestbury: St. Peter (Church of England). The ancient parish church for the township of Upton.
- Upton Priory: Church of the Resurrection (Church of England). Founded in 1964 as a chapel to Prestbury, becoming a district church in 1975.
- Macclesfield Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Macclesfield Rural District (1894-1936)