"WARBURTON, a parish in the hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, 6½ miles (E. by N.) from Warrington, containing 509 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the second mediety of the rectory of Lymme, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, and in the patronage of R. E. E. Warburton, Esq. The church is dedicated to St Werburgh. The rivers Mersey and Botling run through the parish. Here was anciently a monastery of Premonstratensian canons, dedicated to St. Werburgh." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Warburton, a township and ancient parish in Bucklow hundred (SJ 7189), became a civil parish in 1866.
- Since 1974 it has been part of the county of Greater Manchester.
- It includes the hamlet of Moss Brow.
- The population was 466 in 1801, 489 in 1851, 403 in 1901, 376 in 1951, and 286 in 2001.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Warburton to another place.
"WARBURTON, a parish in the hundred of Bucklow, county Chester, 7 miles N.E. of Warrington, its post town, 2½ from Lymm, and about 1 mile from the Warburton station on the Warrington and Stockport line of railway. The village, which was formerly a market town, is situated on the river Mersey. Prior to the reign of Henry II. there was founded here a Premonstratensian priory as a cell to Cockersand Abbey. In the parish is an extensive flour mill, worked by the river Bollin, which passes through this parish, and separates it from Lymm. The surface is flat, and the chief produce cheese and potatoes. The soil is a sandy loam, with a subsoil of stiff clay and sandstone rock. Remains of the market cross still exist. The living is a perpetual curacy,* annexed to the second mediety of the rectory of Lymm, in the diocese of Chester. The church, dedicated to St. Werburgh, contains brasses of the 17th century. The parochial charities produce about £3 per annum. There are National and Sunday-schools for both sexes, supported by the Rev. D. A. Beaufort, M.A. R. E. Warburton, Esq., is lord of the manor."
- 1920 April 1 — Lost part to Rixton with Glazebrook, Lancashire (1 acre, pop. 0 in 1921)
- 1933 April 1 — Gained part of Rixton with Glazebrook, Lancashire (74 acres, pop. 0 in 1931) and lost part to Rixton with Glazebrook, Lancashire (1 acre, pop. 0 in 1931), when the boundary with Lancashire was adjusted to follow the course of the Manchester Ship Canal.
You can see the administrative areas in which Warburton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ706896 (Lat/Lon: 53.402577, -2.443911), Warburton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Altrincham Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Altrincham Rural District (1894-95)
- Bucklow Rural District (1895-1974)
- Trafford Metropolitan Borough [Greater Manchester] (1974+)