"WARMINGHAM, a parish in the hundred of NORTHWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Elton, Moston, Tetton, and Warmingham, and containing 1078 inhabitants, of which number, 386 are in the township of Warmingham, 3¾ miles (W.) from Sandbach. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £12. 4. 7., and in the patronage of Lord Crewe, The church is dedicated to St. Leonard. Courts leet and baron are held here. A free school, founded by Thomas Minshull, has an endowment in land, of the annual value of £15." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
Warmingham, also a township in Warmingham ancient parish, Northwich hundred (SJ 7060), became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlet of Lane Ends.
- The population was 346 in 1801, 423 in 1851, 218 in 1901, 199 in 1951, and 175 in 2001.
- Congleton (1837-1937)
- Crewe (1937-74)
- Congleton & Crewe (1974-88)
- South Cheshire (1988-98)
- Cheshire East (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
- Northwich (1828-99)
- Middlewich & Sandbach (1899-1907)
- Middlewich (1907-67)
- South East Cheshire (1967-74)
- Crewe & Nantwich (1974-92)
- South Cheshire (1992+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Warmingham to another place.
"WARMINGHAM, a parish in the hundred of Northwich, county Chester, 3½ miles S.W. of Sandbach, its post town, and 4 from Middlewich. The village is situated on the river Wenlock. The parish includes the townships of Elton, Moston, Tetton, and Warmingham, and is traversed by the Trent and Mersey canal and the Grand Junction railway. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Chester, value £650. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard. The parochial charities produce about £31 per annum, of which £21 go to a school founded by Thomas Minshull. The Wesleyans have a chapel at Forge Mill."
"ELTON, a township in the parish of Warmingham, hundred of Northwich, county palatine of Chester, 2 miles S.W. of Sandbach, a station on the North-Western railway. It is situated on the river Wenlock, and the Trent and Mersey canal passes through the township. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel. Lord Crewe is lord of the manor, and owner of the soil."
"MOSTON, a township in the parish of Warmingham, hundred of Northwich, county Chester, 2½ miles N.W. of Sandbach. It is situated near the line of the Manchester railway. The Trent and Mersey section of the Grand Trunk canal passes through the township."
"TETTON, a township in the parish of Warmingham, hundred of Northwich, county Chester, 3½ miles N.W. of Sandbach. The township is situated on the Trunk canal and the river Wenlock. Here are extensive brick and tile kilns belonging to the Cheshire Landowners' Drainage and Enclosure Company. Lord Crewe is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
You can see the administrative areas in which Warmingham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ718612 (Lat/Lon: 53.147146, -2.423644), Warmingham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Nantwich Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Nantwich Rural District (1894-74)
- Crewe & Nantwich (1974-2009)
- Cheshire East (2009+)