Hide

Waverton

hide
Hide

"WAVERTON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Hatton, Huxley, and Waverton, and containing 707 inhabitants, of which number, 303 are in the township of Waverton, 4½ miles (E. S. E.) from Chester. The living is a rectory, annexed to the bishoprick of Chester, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £23. 6. 8. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. The Chester canal passes through the parish." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Waverton, also a township in Waverton ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 4663), became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlets of Brown Heath (part), Egg Bridge, Greenlooms (part) and Milners Heath.
  • The population was 246 in 1801, 357 in 1851, 384 in 1901, 476 in 1951, and 1560 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Great Boughton (1837-69)
  • Chester (1870-1937)
  • West Cheshire (1937-74)
  • Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
  • Cheshire West (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Broxton (1828-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2001)
  • Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
  • West Cheshire (2012+)
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Waverton which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"WAVERTON, a parish in the lower division of Broxton hundred, county Chester, 4 miles S.E. of Chester, its post town, and 6 from Tarporley. It is a station on the London and North-Western railway. The village is situated on the Crewe railway and Nantwich and Chester canal. The parish includes a township of its own name, and those of Hatton and Huxley. In the parish are a stone quarry, steam flour-mill, cement works, &c. The soil consists chiefly of clay. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Chester, value £110, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, was restored in 1845. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. There are National schools for both sexes, and church and Sunday schools at Huxley. The Calvinists have a chapel at Eggbridge. The Marquis of Westminster is lord of the manor."

"HATTON, a township in the parish of Waverton, lower division of the hundred of Broxton, county Chester, 5 miles S.E. of Chester, and 6 W. of Tarporley. This township is chiefly pasture, and is famous for cheese. The village consists of several scattered farmhouses and a few cottages. Lord Henry Cholmondeley is owner of the soil."

"HUXLEY, a township in the parish of Waverton, lower division of the hundred of Broxton, county Chester, 4½ miles E. of Waverton, and 3½ S.W. of Tarporley. It is situated near the Chester and Crewe railway, and the Chester canal, which passes-on the S. side of the township. The New Connexion Methodists have a place of worship; and a school was erected in 1851, on land given by Randle Wilbraham, Esq. Here are situated the mansions of Higher and Lower Huxley Hall: the former passed along with the estates of the Savages to the Cholmondeley family."

topup

Historical Geography

Places associated with Waverton ancient parish with separate pages

 

You can see the administrative areas in which Waverton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ486623 (Lat/Lon: 53.155748, -2.769585), Waverton which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • Tarvin Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Tarvin Rural District (1894-74)
  • Chester (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Great Boughton (1837-71)
  • Tarvin (1871-1930).
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1948)
  • Northwich (1948-74)