"WEAVERHAM, a parish in the second division of the hundred of EDDISBURY, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Acton, Crowton, Cuddington, Onston, Wallerscoat, Weaverham cum Milton, and the lordship of Weaverham, and containing 2360 inhabitants, of which number, 749 are in the township of Weaverham cum Milton, 3¼ miles (W by N.) from Northwich. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £12. 11. 10½., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The interest of £100, left by Mary Barker, is applied for apprenticing poor children, as is also a rent-charge of £2, bequeathed by Mr. Mobberley. Here is a charity for six poor decayed housekeepers and their wives, or for deserving widowed or maiden women, selected by the vicar." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
"MILTON, a township, joint with Weaverham, in the parish of WEAVERHAM, second division of the hundred of EDDISBURY, county palatine of CHESTER, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Northwich. The population is returned with Weaverham." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Weaverham (or Weaverham cum Milton), also a township in the ancient parishes of Weaverham and Whitegate, Eddisbury hundred (SJ 6172), became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Beach Hill, Brown Heath, Copyhold, Gorstage, Grange View, Owley Wood and Sandiway Bank.
- The population was 1040 in 1801, 1529 in 1851, 1882 in 1901, 5264 in 1951, and 6589 in 2001..
|Forest Street, Weaverham, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|The Wynt (Now Chapel Street), Weaverham, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|West Road, Weaverham, Methodist (United Free)|
|St Bede, Weaverham, Roman Catholic|
- Northwich (1837-1974)
- Vale Royal (1974-98)
- Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Weaverham to another place.
Places associated with Weaverham ancient parish with separate pages
- Acton (near Weaverham); Acton Bridge; Crowton; Cuddington (near Weaverham)
- Hartford; Onston; Wallerscoat; Weaverham
- 1936 April 1 — Gained parts of Barnton (3 acres, pop. 0 in 1931) and Winnington (16 acres, pop. 0 in 1931), and lost parts to Acton (near Weaverham) (62 acres, pop. 63 in 1931), Barnton (11 acres, pop. 0 in 1931), Cuddington (843 acres, pop. 402 in 1931) and Hartford (less than 1 acre, pop. 0 in 1931).
- 1988 April 1 — Lost parts to Hartford and Whitegate and Marton.
- 2015 April 15 — Lost parts to Acton Bridge, Cuddington (near Weaverham), and Hartford, and gained part of Acton Bridge.
You can see the administrative areas in which Weaverham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ607738 (Lat/Lon: 53.25986, -2.590327), Weaverham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Northwich Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Northwich Rural District (1894-1974)
- Vale Royal (1974-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)