"KIRBY (WEST), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of WIRRALL, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Great and Little Caldey, Frankby, Grange, Greasby, Hoose, Great Meolse, Little Meolse, Newton with Larton, and West Kirby, and containing 1140 inhabitants, of which number, 172 are in the township of West Kirby, 7½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Great Neston. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £28. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The church, dedicated to St. Bridget, was rebuilt in 1786. A free grammar school was founded at Caldey-Grange, in 1636, by William Clegg, Esq., who endowed it with premises now producing from £30 to £40 a year, to which an annuity of £30 was added in 1677, by a Mr. Bennett, who also left £24 per annum to buy gowns for twenty-four poor persons, and an estate at Neston cum Larton, the annual proceeds of which, amounting to £200, are distributed among the poor on Good Friday. The parish lies at the entrance to the river Dee, which bounds it on the west, and on the north is the Irish sea. At Little Meolse are two hotels well frequented, and affording good accommodation for visitors during the bathing season." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- West Kirby, also a township in West Kirby ancient parish, Wirral hundred (SJ 2186), became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1894 to become part of Hoylake cum West Kirby.
- It included the hamlet of Darmonds Green.
- The population of West Kirby was 148 in 1801, 435 in 1851, and 4542 in 1901.
|Meols Drive/Bridge Road, West Kirby, United Reformed Church|
|Eaton Road, West Kirby, Methodist (Primitive)|
|Newton Park Road (formerly Park Road), Newton (Wirral), Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|Westbourne Road/Westbourne Grove, West Kirby, Methodist|
|Brookfield Gardens, West Kirby, Unitarian|
|Grange Road, West Kirby, Presbyterian (Welsh)|
|Station Road, Hoylake, Presbyterian|
|West Kirby Free Church, Grange Road, West Kirby, Unitarian|
|St Agnes, West Kirby, Roman Catholic|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from West Kirby to another place.
Places associated with West Kirby ancient parish with separate pages
- Caldy; Frankby; Grange; Greasby; Great Meols; Hilbre Island ??; Hoose; Hoylake cum West Kirby
- Kirby, West; Little Meols; Meols, Great; Meols, Little; Newton cum Larton; West Kirby
- 1894 — Abolished and incorporated into Hoylake cum West Kirby (pop. 4542 in 1901)
You can see the administrative areas in which West Kirby has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ235878 (Lat/Lon: 53.381931, -3.151102), West Kirby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Wirral Rural Sanitary District (1875-91)
- West Kirby & Hoylake Urban Sanitary District (1891-94)