Yeardsley cum Whaley
"YEARDSLEY, a township, joint with Whaley, in the parish of TAXALL, hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 9¾ miles (S. E. by E.) from Stockport. The population is returned with Whaley. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists, with a Sunday school attached. The river Goyt, and the Peak Forest canal, run through the parish, and from the latter a railway passes to the Connesford canal. Here are extensive collieries, and one of the seams of coal is crossed by a rich vein of lead. In the village of Yeardsley, which is a place of considerable antiquity, the manufacture of tape is carried on to a limited extent." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
"WHALEY, a township, joint with Yeardsley, in the parish of TAXALL, hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 9¼ miles (S. E.) from Stockport, containing, with Yeardsley, 421 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The Peak Forest canal passes through the parish.." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Yeardsley cum Whaley was a township in Taxal ancient parish, Macclesfield hundred (SK 0179), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1936 to become parts of Whaley Bridge (Derbyshire) and Disley.
- It included the hamlets of Bridgemont, Hockley Bridge, Stoneheads, Whaley Bridge and Yeardsley.
- The population was 160 in 1801, 205 in 1851, and 342 in 1901.
- Yeardsley cum Whaley Urban Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Yeardsley cum Whaley Urban District (1894-1936)