"WHITEGATE, otherwise NEWCHURCH, a parish in the first division of the hundred of EDDISBURY, county palatine of CHESTER, 3¼ miles (S. W.) from Northwich, comprising the townships of Darnhall and Marton, and containing 789 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage,in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £1000 royal bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Lord Delamere. The church, dedicated to St. Mary has lately received an addition of four hundred and fifty-three sittings, of which two hundred and twenty-seven are free, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £300 towards defraying the expense. Whitegate, which once formed part of the parish of Over, was separated from it, and made a distinct parish, in 1541: it is bounded and partly intersected by the river Weaver. During the confinement at Hereford of Prince Edward, afterwards Edward I., while a prisoner in the hands of the barons, the monks of the neighbouring monastery of Dore visited and consoled him: he afterwards removed them, about the year 1273, to Dernhall, in this parish; a few years subsequently the king having resolved to build them a new abbey on a neighbouring spot, gave it the name of Vale-Royal, and laid the first stone of the new monastery, in August 1277, wherein the monks took up their abode in 1330, at which period £32,000 had been issued from the royal treasury, for defraying the expense: the solemnity of the removal was observed with much magnificence, being attended by a great concourse of prelates, nobility, and gentry; at the dissolution the revenue was estimated at £518. There are still some small remains of this house in the doorways of the modern mansion, that now occupies its site, which, in the great civil war, was plundered and partly destroyed." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Whitegate & Marton [Whitegate was previously an ancient parish] is a civil parish (SJ 6068), created in 1988 from parts of Cuddington (near Weaverham), Hartford, Marton (near Winsford), Oakmere, Weaverham and Winsford.
- It includes the hamlets of Beauty Bank, Cassia Green, Chester Lane Brook, Daleford, Newchurch, Nova Scotia and Nunsmere.
- The population was 971 in 2001.
- Vale Royal (1988-98)
- Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Whitegate to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Whitegate has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ620684 (Lat/Lon: 53.211243, -2.571187), Whitegate which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)