Hide

Wigland

hide
Hide

"WIGLAND, a township in the parish of MALPAS, higher division of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER, 1¾ mile (S. S. E.) from Malpas, containing 204 inhabitants. At Dirtwich, in this township, are brine springs, from which salt is made. In 1643, the works were destroyed by a detachment of the parliamentary army, but they were soon restored." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Wigland was a township in Malpas ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 4944), which became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlet of Higher Wych (part).
  • The population was 160 in 1801, 203 in 1851, 142 in 1901, 109 in 1951, and 104 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Wrexham (1837-53)
  • Whitchurch (1853-1937)
  • West Cheshire (1937-74)
  • Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
  • Cheshire West (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Broxton (1828-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2001)
  • Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
  • West Cheshire (2012+)
topup

Politics & Government

  • Whitchurch Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Malpas Rural District (1894-1936), Tarvin Rural District (1894-74)
  • Chester (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Wrexham (1837-53)
  • Whitchurch (1853-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1948)
  • Northwich (1949-54)
  • Northwich (1955-74)