WINCLE: St. Michael (Church of England)

Church History

Founded in 1725 as a chapel to Prestbury: St. Peter, becoming the district church for the township of Wincle in 1869. The boundaries of "The District Chapelry of Wincle" were described in the London Gazette on 10 August 1869:

"All those portions of the said parish of Prestbury, which are comprised within, and are co-extensive with, the limits of the township and parochial chapelry of Wincle."

The district was affected by the following boundary changes:

  • 1973 October 24 — extended when the civil parish of Wildboarclough (including the chapel of Wildboarclough: St. Saviour) was transferred from Forest Chapel: St. Stephen, to form the combined district of "Wincle and Wildboarclough".

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original Registers C 1803-1875 ; B 1803-1925 — Cheshire Record Office (P 33)
C from 1875 ; M from 1871 ; B from 1925 — Church
Microfilm Copies C 1803-1875 ; B 1803-1925 — Cheshire Record Office ; Family History Society of Cheshire ; Manchester Archives & Local Studies ;, Macclesfield Library
Bishop's Transcripts 1813-24, 1826-72 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office ; Family History Society of Cheshire
Copies and Indexes C 1803-1875 — North Cheshire Family History Society
M 1871-1991 — Cheshire BMD (CE:1098)
B 1803-1925 — National Burial Index
B 1803-1925 — published by North Cheshire Family History Society
Monumental Inscriptions Published by Macclesfield Ferrets/Graveyard Press, 1996

  Explanatory Notes Index of Churches