"WINCLE, a chapelry in the parish of PRESTBURY, hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 5½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Macclesfield, containing 466 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £1300 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Prestbury. The chapel was erected about 1642." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Wincle was a township and chapelry in Prestbury ancient parish, Macclesfield hundred (SJ 9566), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Allgreave, Allmeadows, Clewlow Cross, Danebridge, Greasley and Lanehouse.
- The population was 351 in 1801, 336 in 1851, 261 in 1901, 202 in 1951, and 164 in 2001.
- Prestbury: St. Peter (Church of England). The ancient parish church for the township of Wincle.
- Wincle: St. Michael (Church of England). Founded in 1725 as a chapel to Prestbury: St. Peter, becoming the district church for Wincle in 1869
- Allgreave, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan). Built in 1871.
- Macclesfield (1837-1998)
- Cheshire East (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wincle to another place.
- 1888 March 24 — Lost a detached part to Wildboarclough (20 acres, pop. 6 in 1891), including Midgeley Gates and Danes Cottages
You can see the administrative areas in which Wincle has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ959660 (Lat/Lon: 53.191071, -2.062819), Wincle which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Macclesfield Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Macclesfield Rural District (1894-1974)
- Macclesfield (1974-2009)
- Cheshire East (2009+)