Hide

St Michael, Wincle, Church of England

hide
Hide
image
Hide

St Michael,
Barlow Hill,
Wincle

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

The church has/had a graveyard.

topup

Church History

It was founded in 1803.

Church History

Founded in 1725 as a chapel to Prestbury: St. Peter, becoming the district church for the township of Wincle in 1869. The boundaries of "The District Chapelry of Wincle" were described in the London Gazette on 10 August 1869: 

"All those portions of the said parish of Prestbury, which are comprised within, and are co-extensive with, the limits of the township and parochial chapelry of Wincle." 

The district was affected by the following boundary changes: 

  • 1973 October 24 — extended when the civil parish of Wildboarclough (including the chapel of Wildboarclough: St. Saviour) was transferred from Forest Chapel: St. Stephen, to form the combined district of "Wincle and Wildboarclough". 

 

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts 

Original Registers C 1803-1875 ; B 1803-1925 — Cheshire Archives (P 33)
C from 1875 ; M from 1871 ; B from 1925 — Church
Microfilm Copies C 1803-1875 ; B 1803-1925 — Cheshire Archives ; Family History Society of Cheshire ; Manchester Archives & Local Studies ;, Macclesfield Library
Bishop's Transcripts 1813-24, 1826-72 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Archives ; Family History Society of Cheshire
Copies and Indexes C 1803-1875 — North Cheshire Family History Society
M 1871-1991 — Cheshire BMD (CE:1098)
B 1803-1925 — National Burial Index
B 1803-1925 — published by North Cheshire Family History Society
Monumental Inscriptions Published by Macclesfield Ferrets/Graveyard Press, 1996
topup

Maps

It is located at SJ9586866065 (Lat/Lon 53.191659, -2.063293). You can see this on maps provided by:

Hide
hide