"WISTASTON,a parish in the hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 2½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Nantwich, containing 332 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £4. 0, 3., and in the patronage of Peter Walthall, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has lately received an addition of one hundred and fifty-eight sittings, of which one hundred and twenty-one are free, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £100 towards defraying the expense." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Wistaston was a township and parish in Nantwich hundred (SJ 6853), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Moorfields (part), Wells Green, West End, Wistaston Green and Wood End.
- The population was 258 in 1801, 298 in 1851, 494 in 1901, 2818 in 1951, and 8222 in 2001.
- Nantwich (1837-1937)
- Crewe (1937-74)
- Congleton & Crewe (1974-88)
- South Cheshire (1988-98)
- Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
- Nantwich (wholly, 1828-92 and 1894-1974 ; partly, 1892-94) *
- Crewe (Borough) (partly, 1892-94) *
- Crewe & Nantwich (1974-92)
- South Cheshire (1992+)
* The part in Crewe (Borough) (1892-94) was added to the civil parish of Monks Coppenhall in 1894.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wistaston to another place.
"WISTASTON, a parish in the hundred of Nantwich, county Chester, 2 miles N.E. of Nantwich, and 2 S.W. of Crewe. The soil is light and sandy, upon a subsoil of clay. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester, value £200. The church, dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, was built in 1828. There is a school, with a small endowment."
- 1894 March 24 — Lost the part in Crewe Municipal Borough to Monks Coppenhall (pop. 328 in 1901)
- 1936 April 1 — Lost part to Monks Coppenhall (267 acres, pop. 244 in 1931)
- 1990 April 1 — Gained parts of Monks Coppenhall, Rope and Worleston, and lost parts to Monks Coppenhall, Rope and Willaston (near Nantwich)
You can see the administrative areas in which Wistaston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ684539 (Lat/Lon: 53.081676, -2.472696), Wistaston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Nantwich Rural Sanitary District (wholly, 1875-1892 ; partly, 1892-94)
- Crewe Urban Sanitary District (partly, 1892-94) *
- Crewe Municipal Borough (partly, 1892-94) *
- Nantwich Rural District (1894-1974)
- Crewe & Nantwich (1974-2009)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
* The part in Crewe Municipal Borough and Crewe Urban Sanitary District (1892-94) was added to the civil parish of Monks Coppenhall in 1894.