Hide

Wrenbury

hide
Hide

"WRENBURY, a parish in the hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Bromhall, Chorley, Woodcot, and Wrenbury with Frith, and containing 934 inhabitants, of which number, 526 are in the township of Wrenbury with Frith, 4¾ miles (S. W. by W.) from Nantwich. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £600 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £2200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Acton. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, has a fine carved oak ceiling and an elegant tower. A branch of the Chester canal passes through the parish, and a court leet is occasionally held here.. A school is supported by annual subscriptions amounting to about £12." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

"FRITH, a township, joint with Wrenbury, in the parish of WRENBURY, hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 6 miles (S.W. by W.) from Nantwich, containing 526 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Wrenbury cum Frith, also a township in Wrenbury ancient parish, Nantwich hundred (SJ 5848), became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlets of Porters Hill, Wrenbury Heath and Wrenburywood.
  • The population was 404 in 1801, 490 in 1851, 491 in 1901, 708 in 1951, and 1060 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Nantwich (1837-1937)
  • Crewe (1937-74)
  • Congleton & Crewe (1974-88)
  • South Cheshire (1988-98)
  • Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Nantwich (1828-1974)
  • Crewe & Nantwich (1974-92)
  • South Cheshire (1992+)
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Wrenbury which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"WRENBURY, a parish in the hundred of Nantwich, county Chester, 5 miles S.W. of Nantwich, and 6 N.E. of Whitchurch. It is a station on the Crew, Whitchurch, and Shrewsbury branch of the London and North-Western railway. The parish includes the townships of Broomhall, Chorley, Dodcott-cum-Wilkesley, Newhall, Sound, and Woodcott, with the hamlet of Wrenbury Frith. The river Weaver, and the Chester and Ellesmere canal, pass through the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Chester, value £150, in the patronage of the Vicar of Acton. The church is dedicated to St. Margaret. In the chancel are mural tablets of the Starkey and Cotton families. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel. There are free, National, and Sunday schools. The charities produce about £100 per annum. The Marquis of Cholmondeley is lord of the manors of Wrenbury and Chorley, and the Earl of Kilmore of the manors of Broomhall and Woodcott. Mrs. Beckett is lady of the manor of Sound."

"BROOMHALL, a township in the parish of Wrenbury, hundred of Nantwich, in the county palatine of Chester, 3 miles to the S. of Nantwich."

"CHORLEY, a township in the parish of Wrenbury, in the hundred of Nantwich, in the county of Chester, 2 miles N.W. of Wrenbury. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. The Marquis of Cholmondeley is lord of the manor."

topup

Historical Geography

Places associated with Wrenbury ancient parish with separate pages

 

You can see the administrative areas in which Wrenbury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ604475 (Lat/Lon: 53.022944, -2.592258), Wrenbury which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • Nantwich Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Nantwich Rural District (1894-74)
  • Crewe & Nantwich (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Nantwich
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1948)
  • Crewe (1949-54)
  • Nantwich (1955-74)