Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Advent

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.


Primary tabs

The parish of Advent (Cornish: Sen Adhwynn) is named after St. Alhawyn or Adwena, by whose name it should rightly be called, but it is known as Advent. It is in the Hundred of Lesneweth and in the Deanery of Trigg-minor. There is no village called Advent.
Advent Parish is located in the Hundred of Lesnewth in the North Cornwall district and is situated on the north-western edge of Bodmin Moor. It is bordered to the east by Altarnun and St Clether, to the south by St Breward (Simonward) and to the west by Morwenstow and the River Camel. In the Domesday survey of 1086, the district was rated under the names Tegleston or Helleston (the two manors are contiguous with the parish).
The area is mainly farmland with some areas of moorland to the east of the parish; the underlying material is granite. It contains the small villages of Treclogoe (Trelogoe), Pencarrow and Tresinney; there are also a number of small hamlets and farmsteads dotted around the parish and a few small streams cross it. A man-made lake, Crowdy Reservoir, lies in the east of the Parish.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)



The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church.



Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841.
    • The 1841 Census of Advent (HO107/140), Enumeration District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The 1841 census for this parish has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241258.
  • 1851.
    • The 1851 Census of Advent (HO107/1898), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Advent is listed in Volume 4. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
  • 1861.
  • 1871. The 1871 Census of Advent (RG10/2219), Enumeration District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of Advent (RG11/2273), Enumeration District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of Advent (RG12/1800), Enumeration District 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located (OS Grid Square SX1081) just to the north-east of the hamlet of Tresinney and was dedicated to St Athwenna (or Adwenna) in 1340 (and probably was consecrated on Advent Sunday), but is now known as Advent. It was endowed in the 14th century by the Duke of Cornwall.
    The church is constructed in the perpendicular style and comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle and north and south transepts. The tower is lofty, has eight pinnacles, and contains four bells. The north transept is early English, but has been entirely rebuilt, the old windows being replaced. There was formerly a corresponding transept or chapel on the south side, which remained till about 1870, when, the roof having been destroyed by a fall of snow, the entrance arch was built up and the east window of this chapel placed in it. The font is of Norman date, and consists of a cylindrical basin, expanding towards the top, on an octagonal shaft with bold mouldings, rising from a square base. The church was rebuilt in 1847-8. The baptism registers date from 1709, the marriages from 1721 and the burials from 1718.
  • Non-Conformist. The Bible Christians had a Meeting House in Advent parish.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for Advent are: E006231, M006231, P006231. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI for this parish covers the period 1676 - 1805.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1709 - 1812, Burials 1718 - 1812, Marriages 1721 - 1979, Boyd's Marriage Index 1608 - 1801, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812, BTs 1608 - 1665.
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms 1676 to 1772 (BTs), and 1813 to 1911, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Marriages.
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1616 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file format.
    • Phillimore's Marriages 1676 to 1812, and parish church marriages 1837 to 1911, are also available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (COCP).
  • Burials.
    • Burials 1676 to 1772 (BTs), and 1813 to 1902, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in CD or book format.

Civil Registration

Although originally in the Camelford Registration District, the parish of Advent is now in the Bodmin Registration District; there were sub-districts at Boscastle and Camelford. Parishes within the Camelford district were: Advent, Davidstow, Forrabury, Lanteglos, Lesnewth, Michaelstow, Minster, Otterham, St. Breward, St. Clether, St. Juliot, St. Teath, Tintagel, Trevalga.

The Superintendant Registrar of Bodmin can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.


Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Advent which are provided by:



Ask for a calculation of the distance from Advent to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.



  • OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted.
  • Mailing List. There is a mailing list for anyone with a genealogical and or historical interest in Bodmin Moor and its surrounding villages. Villages covered are: Advent (Tresinney), Alternun, Blisland, Bodmin, Boventor, Camelford (Lanteglos), Cardinham, Davidstow, Egloshayle, Helland, Laneast, Lanteglos by Camelford, Launceston, Lewannick, Liskeard, Michaelstow, North Hill, St Breward, St Breock, St Cleer, St Clether, St Mabyn, St Neot, St Tudy, Temple, Tresinney, Trewen, Wadebridge (Egloshayle & St Breock), and Warleggan.  See the list  administration page

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Advent has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



The only manor within the parish is Trelogoe.



An indenture dated 16 Sep 1829, involving William BURT, Thomas JORY and several parcels of land in the parish is available on-line.


Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

Advent parish was part of the Camelford Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.



  • Population in 1801 - 173 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 219 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 229 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 244 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 291 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 252 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 208 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 246 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 223 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 200 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 182 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 205 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 199 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 219 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 195 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 189 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 126 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 105 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 160 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 153 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 189 persons


The parish comprises 1081 acres of land.