Once called Antony-in-East, Antony St Jacob, and East Antony; it has also been called Antony-by-Rame. The parish is now just called 'Antony' (Cornish: Anta). It is situated in the Hundred and Deanery of East, and is separated from the town of Devonport by the river Hamoaze. It is bounded on the north by the River Lynher and St German creek, east by Hamoaze, south-east by St John's Lake, south by the parish of St John and Whitesand Bay, and on the west by Sheviock.

The parish is named after the saint and possibly Anta's Farm, and was mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086. The village is situated in the South East corner of Cornwall to the immediate West of the River Tamar. It is called Antone in the Domesday Book of 1086. Antony is in the Caradon district near to the mouth of the River Tamar. The new parish of Torpoint lies in the south-east corner of the older Antony parish. The area is mainly farmland to the West and the town of Torpoint lies in the east of the parish, and Torpoint parish was created from Antony in 1819. There are two forts in the parish, Scraesdon Fort and Tregantle Fort, the latter is currently used as a base camp for the adjacent military firing range.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)



No Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church are known to have been transcribed.



Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:


Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX398546.
    The elegant church, with its spire, was dedicated to St James (the Great) on 14th October 1259. The present church is thought to have been built around 1420. It is situated on an eminence above the village, and the ascent to it is by three or four flights of granite steps. It is divided into chancel, nave, north and south aisles. The arcades are of Tudor arches of Granite, the pillars are of the same material and chiefly monolith. The church was completely renovated in the middle of the 19th century. The old bench ends in the church have been incorporated into the pulpit and the stalls in the chancel. There is also an attractive monumental brass of 1428 to Lady Majorie Arundell, who is thought to have been the first person to be interred in it.
    There is another Anglican Church (formerly a chapelry) at Merrifield. The building is small and plain in the Decorated style consisting of a chancel, nave, transept and a north aisle. There are several stained-glass windows.
  • Non-Conformist. The arrangements for Non-Conformists in this parish are not known.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1678 - 1861, Burials 1678 - 1925, Marriages 1678 - 1866, Boyd's Marriage Index 1606 - 1664, BTs 1608 - 1664, Non-Conformist records 1815 - 1837.
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms 1608 to 1807, and 1677 to 1781 (Bishop's Transcripts), are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1685 to 1842 for this parish and these are available for purchase from Parish Chest
    • The Plymouth Record Office holdings: Antony Wesleyan Methodist Baptisms 1952-1981.
  • Marriages.
    • Marriages 1586 to 1755, 1677 to 1771 (Bishop's Transcripts), and 1791 to 1812, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1564 to 1837, which is available in book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
  • Burials.
    • Burials 1593 to 1790 (with gaps), 1677 to 1771, and 1866 to 1925, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in book or CD formats.

Civil Registration

The parish of Antony is in the St Germans Registration District and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Antony, Botusfleming, Landrake, Landulph, Maker, Millbrook, Pillaton, Quethiock, Rame, St. Erney, St. Germans, St. John's, St. Mellion, St. Stephen's, Saltash, Sheviock, Torpoint.

The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6DL. Tel: 01752 842624.


Description & Travel

    You can see pictures of Antony which are provided by:



    The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

    "ANTONY, (or Antony St. Jacob) a parish in the southern division of the East hundred, in the county of Cornwall, 3 miles to the W. of Devonport. It is situated on the coast of Lynher Creek, at the mouth of the river Tamar, not far from the borders of Devonshire. It contains the chapelry of Torpoint. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Merrifield, in the diocese of Exeter, value £262, in the patronage of the Right Hon. W. H. P. Carew. The church is dedicated to St. James, and contains a brass under a rich canopy, to the memory of Margery Arundel, who died in 1420. It has also several monuments to the Carew family, one of them being to Richard Carew, who wrote the "Survey of Cornwall." He died in 1620. There is also a church at Torpoint, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £124, in the patronage of the vicar. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel here. There is a free school for ten children endowed by Sir C. Carew. Antony House is the seat of the Carews; Thancks, on the banks of Hamoaze, is the seat of the Dowager Lady Graves. Coarse slate is quarried here.

    "TORPOINT, a chapelry in the parish of Antony, S. division of East hundred, county Cornwall, 3 miles W. of Devonport. The village occupies a peninsula, formed by the Tamar, the Lynher, and St. John's Lake, abounding in fish. In the vicinity are many seats, of which Trematon Castle is the principal. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter, value £130. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans. Sir C. Carew founded a free grammar-school here, and there is also a National school."



    OPC Assistance.

    • The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted.

    Historical Geography

    The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Antony ecclesiastical parish:



    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX408546 (Lat/Lon: 50.369829, -4.240331), Antony which are provided by:


    Poor Houses, Poor Law

    • Antony parish was part of the St Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
    • Overseers' Accounts (1809 to 1820, 1828 to 1832, 1820 to 1837) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.


    *1881 figures exclude Torpoint; in 1904 part of Antony was incorporated into Torpoint.

    Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

    • Population in 1801 - 1795 persons
    • Population in 1811 - 2144 persons
    • Population in 1821 - 1795 persons
    • Population in 1831 - 3099 persons
    • Population in 1841 - 2894 persons
    • Population in 1851 - 3201 persons
    • Population in 1861 - 3887 persons
    • Population in 1871 - 3268 persons,
      plus 493 persons in Antony Barracks
      and 51 persons in shipping
    • Population in 1881 - 834 persons
    • Population in 1891 - 3684 persons
    • Population in 1901 - 4362 persons
    • Population in 1911 - 958 persons
    • Population in 1921 - 799 persons
    • Population in 1931 - 1033 persons
    • Population in 1951 - 1294 persons
    • Population in 1961 - 445 persons
    • Population in 1971 - 445 persons
    • Population in 1981 - 465 persons,
      plus 265 persons in Antony and Tregantle villages
    • Population in 1991 - 445 persons,
      plus 240 in Antony and Tregantle villages
    • Population in 2001 - 436 persons
    • Population in 2011 - 500 persons


    The Rame Peninsula History Group was formed at its inaugural meeting on 30 January 2003. Its aim is to research, record and promote interest in the heritage of the Rame Peninsula.



    The parish comprises 3222 acres of land.