The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ANTONY, (or Antony St. Jacob) a parish in the southern division of the East hundred, in the county of Cornwall, 3 miles to the W. of Devonport. It is situated on the coast of Lynher Creek, at the mouth of the river Tamar, not far from the borders of Devonshire. It contains the chapelry of Torpoint. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Merrifield, in the diocese of Exeter, value £262, in the patronage of the Right Hon. W. H. P. Carew. The church is dedicated to St. James, and contains a brass under a rich canopy, to the memory of Margery Arundel, who died in 1420. It has also several monuments to the Carew family, one of them being to Richard Carew, who wrote the "Survey of Cornwall." He died in 1620. There is also a church at Torpoint, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £124, in the patronage of the vicar. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel here. There is a free school for ten children endowed by Sir C. Carew. Antony House is the seat of the Carews; Thancks, on the banks of Hamoaze, is the seat of the Dowager Lady Graves. Coarse slate is quarried here.
"TORPOINT, a chapelry in the parish of Antony, S. division of East hundred, county Cornwall, 3 miles W. of Devonport. The village occupies a peninsula, formed by the Tamar, the Lynher, and St. John's Lake, abounding in fish. In the vicinity are many seats, of which Trematon Castle is the principal. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter, value £130. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans. Sir C. Carew founded a free grammar-school here, and there is also a National school."