Cornwall:- Archives and Libraries
- The Cornwall Record Office online catalogue contains descriptions of documents held at Cornwall Record Office. Please note that the catalogue is still under development, so not all records are included at present. The majority of the catalogues can be found on the Access to Archives website - see below.
- Access to UK National Archives (A2A) is available on-line. The holdings of records relating to Cornwall, and which are kept in the Cornwall Record Office are gradually being added to the A2A catalogues; these can be found on-line and can be searched by surname.
- The (UK) National Archives online catalogue of the archives of central government, courts of law and other national bodies, is available.
- The Cornwall Library Service.
Cornwall has a network of 30 branch, 3 specialist and 9 mobile libraries. There are specialist centres for Cornish Studies, Performing Arts, Visual Arts, Maritime Studies, and a Reference and Information Library which acts as a European Information Relay site. There are also dedicated services for young people and the visually impaired.
- The Cornwall Record Office,
[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Bing.]
County Hall, Truro TR1 3AY
Tel 01872 323127 - Overseas +44 1872 323127
Fax 01872 270340 - Overseas +44 1872 270340
Opening Hours - See WWW site above
An index of records held in the Cornwall Record Office is also available on-line. Documents in the CRO can be copied by arrangement for both visitors and mail order.
- Local studies information is held at The Cornwall Centre Library
Alma Place, Redruth TR15 2AT
Tel 01209 216760 - Overseas +44 1209 216760
Fax 01209 210283 - Overseas + 441209 210283
Videophone 01209 210510 - Overseas + 441209 210510
Opening Hours Mon-Fri 1000-1800, Sat 1000-1600
- The Devon & Cornwall Record Society
Westcountry Studies Library, Castle Street, Exeter EX4 3PQ
Tel 01392 273422 - Overseas +44 1392 273422.
- The Morrab Library, Morrab Gardens, Penzance, Cornwall, TR18 4DA
Tel./Fax. 01736 364474.
- Penzance Library
Morrab Road, Penzance TR18 4DQ
Tel. 01736 64474 - Overseas +44 1736 64474
- The Royal Cornwall Museum & Courtney Library
Royal Institution of Cornwall, River Street, Truro TR1 2SJ
Tel 01872 272205 - Overseas +44 1872 272205
RIC: e-mail RIC[at]royalcornwallmuseum.org[dot]uk.
Museum: email enquiries[at]royalcornwallmuseum.org[dot]uk.
Courtney Library: e-mail courtney.rcmric[at]btinternet[dot]com.
- The National Maritime Museum, Cornwall
Honorary Curator: Captain George Hogg
Tel 01326 313388 - Overseas +44(0)1326 313388.
- Charlestown Shipwreck & Heritage Centre
Tel. 01726 69897 - Overseas +44 1726 69897
Open 1st March - 31st October, 10am - 5pm (later in high season).
- The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry Museum is located at:
Tel. 01208 72810
- The Cornwall Global Migration Programme (CGMP) is located at:
Tel. 01209 215736
- Family History Centres. There are Church of Latter-Day Saints (LDS) Family History Centres in Cornwall. These are located at:
- Family History Centre, LDS Chapel, Clodgey Lane, Helston, Plymouth Stake [Family History Centre], Helston, TR13 8PJ. Telephone: 01326 564503.
- LDS Chapel, Mannamead Road, Hartley, Plymouth, Devon, PL3 4SR. Tel. 01752 668666.
- LDS Chapel, Kingfisher Drive, St. Austell, Cornwall, PL25 3AZ. (limited facilities contact: Mr. A. Burchell, St Austell Tel. 01726 73349)
- Additional information on library services for Cornwall can be found on the Cornwall County Council pages.
- The Cornwall Family History Society's Library and Research Centre is located at 5 Victoria Square, Truro, Cornwall, TR1 2RS, United Kingdom. (Telephone: 01872 264044; overseas +44 1872 264044).