The parish of Baldhu (Cornish: Baldhu) is situated in the Deanery of Powder. It is named after the Cornish for Black Mine. It was formed on 1st January 1847 from parts of Kea and Kenwyn parishes. The old parish Church site is the burial place of Billy Bray, the revivalist preacher. His grave lies buried on the south side of the Victorian Gothic building.
The village was once a mining community situated above the Carnon Valley to the West of Truro; all of the mining in the area has now ceased but there is much evidence of its past. The mine at Wheal Jane was the most recent one to close in the late 20th century. The area has many buildings once occupied by these local miners.
A little to the south of the Truro to Chacewater road, in the old parish of St. Kea, the former Anglican church has now been converted into two domestic properties. The place was once a church building dedicated to St. Michael and All Angels, which had provided spiritual facilities for the people in the locality of Bissoe.
In 1984 the Anglican ecclesiastical parish of Baldhu was united with All Saints, Highertown, Truro. The former Baldhu parish only contains the hamlet of Bissoe.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions on-line for the Parish Church - 772 entries.
Census information for this parish (1851 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In the 1841 Census, Baldhu was enumerated under Kea and Kenwyn parishes.
- 1851. In the 1851 Census, Baldhu was enumerated under Kea and Kenwyn parishes. The census (HO107/1910) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Baldhu is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871.The 1871 Census of Baldhu is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Baldhu is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Baldhu is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. This ecclesiastical parish was formed on 1st January 1847 from the parishes of Kenwyn and Kea. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW773432 and was dedicated to St Michael and All Angels.
The church was built in 1848 by the Earl of Falmouth, at a cost (including the school adjoining) of over £3,000; it is built of stone in the decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, south aisle and a tower with spire on the north side, contained 6 bells, the gift of Anne, late Countess of Falmouth; the east window was stained. The church once contained a copy of King Charles the First's letter to the people of Cornwall thanking them for the loyal services to the Crown, written from the camp at Sudeley Castle, on September 10th 1643. The register here, which is now in the Cornwall Record Office, dates from the year 1848.
The old church building stands a little to the south of the Truro to Chacewater road in an isolated spot. The building is reached by a narrow road; it has now been converted to two domestic properties. The church building had experienced a major restoration during the 1960s. Billy Bray, the evanglelist, lies buried on the south side of the Victorian Gothic building.
The ecclesiastical parish is no longer independent; in 1984 it was united with All Saints, Highertown, Truro.
- Non-Conformist. The Bible Christians and Wesleyan Methodists had chapels here. There were two Wesleyan Chapels at Baldhu and Hugus, and the United Methodists had chapels at Bethel and Kerley Downs.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1847 - 1975, Burials 1848 - 1973, Marriages 1848 - 1978.
- Baptisms Baptisms 1847 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Marriages. Marriages 1848 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials> Burials 1848 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Baldhu became part of the Truro Registration District on its creation. There were originally sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished.
The address of the Truro Superintendant Registrar is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Baldhu to another place.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is on-line, from where he/she can be contacted by email.
You can see the administrative areas in which Baldhu has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Truro Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW774429 (Lat/Lon: 50.244241, -5.123491), Baldhu which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Information about the Carnon Valley Mines is available on-line.
Baldhu has always been in the Truro Registration District. Following its creation, Baldhu civil parish continued as part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.