The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"BROADOAK, (or Bradock), a parish in the hundred of West, in the county of Cornwall, 7 miles to the W. of Liskeard. It is situated a little to the E. of the river Fowey, and includes the hamlet-of West Taphouse. After the Norman Conquest the lordship was held by the Earl of Mortaigne. During the civil war in the 17th century Broadoak Down was the scene of an engagement between the royalists, under Sir Ralph Horton, and the parliamentarians under Ruthven, in which the latter were defeated. In the following year, 1644, the Earl of Essex was nearly surrounded by the royalist forces here, and had to retire to the coast, whence he embarked for Plymouth. The living is a rectory consolidated with that of Boconnoc, in the diocese of Exeter. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains an ancient font.
"WEST TAPHOUSE, a hamlet in the parish of Broadoak, county Cornwall, 4 miles W. of Liskeard.