"BUDE, BUDEHAM, or BUDEHAVEN, a chplry. and small seaport in. the par. and hund. of Stratton, in the co. of Cornwall, 2 miles to the W. of Stratton, its post town, and 15 miles from Launceston. It is seated on the shore of a small shallow hay of the same name, and is resorted to as a bathing-place. The harbour is subordinate to Padstow, and only admits vessels of small burthen. It is liable to be choked with sand, which accumulates here in immense quantities. The sand is collected by the inhabitants and sent inland for manure, The business of the place was greatly promoted by the construction of the Bude canal, which is 21 miles long, and connects the village with Launceston. This work was undertaken in 1819. A small coasting trade is earned on. The living is a perpet. cur. in the dioc. of Exeter, val. £50, in the patron, of Sir T. D. Acland, Bart. The well-known Bude light took its name from this village, in which its inventor, Mr. G. Gurney, resided."
From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland, 1868.
The parish of Bude Haven (Cornish: Porthbud), better known as Bude, is located on the north Cornwall coast. The origin of the name is not known; it could have been taken from an unknown word, possibly connected with water. Bude Haven, or Budeham, was created in 1836 from part of Bude-Stratton parish. The town is now more commonly referred to as just Bude.
The town is famed for its canal. The idea of the Bude Canal (wikipedia)was conceived in 1774 by Cornishman John Edyvean originally to carry the chemically rich Bude sea sand to poor inland soils. The project took a number of years to take shape and it was not until 1819 that the Bude Harbour and Canal Company was formed with 330 shareholders. The town is situated on the Atlantic Heritage Coast of Cornwall, adjacent to fine sandy beaches, and on the South West Coastal Path. Bude and nearby beaches provide some of the finest surfing to be had in all England; most beaches have lifeguard cover during the Summer months.
The two civil parishes of Bude and Stratton are once again united as Bude-Stratton parish.