1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"CALSTOCK, a parish in the middle division of the hundred of East, in the county of Cornwall, 5 miles to the E. of Callington. Tavistock is its post town. It is pleasantly situated on the borders of Devonshire, on the banks of the navigable river Tamar, across which is a ferry, and is crossed by the Tavistock canal. Granite is the prevailing rock in the neighbourhood, and there are mines of copper, tin, lead, and manganese. The Tamar contains abundance of salmon trout. Calstock is a port subordinate to the port of Plymouth. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £510, in the patronage of the Prince of Wales. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. It is built of granite, with a lofty pinnacled tower, and contains a chapel of the Edgecumbe family, and several old monuments. The Baptists have a chapel in the town. The rectory was held by Launcelot Blackburn, afterwards Archbishop of York, by whom the parsonage was built in 1720. There is a mineral spring near the church. In this parish is Cothele, or Cotehele, a curious and interesting old mansion, the seat of the Earl of Mount Edgecumbe. It stands on a slope near the Tamar, and was in part built about the time of Henry VII. The structure is quadrangular, with a gatehouse on the S. side, and a lofty massive tower at one of the angles of the N. front. It contains a hall with a lofty arched roof of timber, and a chapel with a fine turret and an ancient font. The house is stored with curiously carved furniture, old armour and weapons, and various antiquities. Charles II. once visited it, and the bed is shown in which he slept; in August, 1788, it was visited by George III. and Queen Charlotte, with several of the royal children. Other seats in the neighbourhood are Harewood and Sandhill."
"COTELE, a seat of Earl Mount Edgcumbe, in the parish of Calstock and county of Cornwall, 3 miles S.E. of Callington. It is an ancient quadrangular pile on the bank of the river Tamar. It contains some richly carved furniture, suits of armour, and a great variety of antiquities illustrative of mediaeval art."