Cury, anciently called Corantyn, (in Cornish: Egloskuri) is situated in the Meneage district on the Lizard peninsular; it is in the Deanery and Hundred of Kerrier. It is bounded on the north and west by Mawgan-in-Meneage, on the east by Ruan Minor and on the south by Mullion and Gunwalloe. The parish is named after its patron, Saint Corentin, was mentioned in the Domesday Survey of AD 1086, as Chori.
The principal villages of the parish, besides the Churchtown, are Cross Lanes, White Cross and Nantithet. The parish is primarily an agricultural one, with many farms.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for:
- The Parish Church - 235 entries.
- Municipal cemetery - 445 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society (CFHS) offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1841 Census of Cury (HO107/136), Enumeration Districts 6 and 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1841 census for this parish has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241260.
- The 1851 Census of Cury (HO107/1912), Enumeration Districts 3a and 3b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Cury is listed in Volume 32. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Cury (RG9/1572), Enumeration Districts 6 and 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Cury (RG10/2304), Enumeration Districts 6 and 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Cury (RG11/2323), Enumeration Districts 6 and 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Cury (RG12/1840), Enumeration Districts 6 and 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW6721 and was dedicated to St Corantin. St Corantin is said to be the first Cornish apostle of note. He was born in Brittanny.
Cury and Gunwallow formed one perpetual curacy; they were, with Germoe, formerly daughter churches of Breage. The church was dedicated by Walter Bronescombe, bishop of Exeter, on 1st September 1261. It consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, and a south transept. The arcade has six four-centred, pointed arches of St Stephens porcelaine stone, with pillars of the same material. There is a south porch and a north door. An outstanding feature is its south doorway which is Norman and dates from the 12th century. One oddity is the squint, or hagioscope, connecting the south transept and the chancel. The west tower, which is so prominent a landmark, is of two stages; it has battlements and pinnacles. It is built entirely of granite brought from Constantine.
It is believed that this church was the first in Cornwall to use the Liturgy in English.
- Non-Conformist. In the village of Whitecross there were chapels for the Weseyan Methodists and Association Methodists.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Cury are: C023581/2, E023582, M023582. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1676 - 1875.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1690 - 1875, Burials 1690 - 1954, Marriages 1692 - 1837, Boyd's Marriage Index 1608 - 1837, BTs 1608 - 1673.
- Baptisms 1676 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1690 to 1901 - with gaps, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1690 to 1840 for this parish and these are available for purchase from Parish Chest.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1608 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Marriages 1676 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1773 to 1904, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Cury was originally in the Helston Registration District; there were sub-districts at Breage, Crowan, Helston, St Keverne and Wendron. It is now in the Kerrier Registration District. Parishes in this registration district are: Breage, Crowan, Cury, Germoe, Gunwalloe, Grade, Helston, Landewednack, Manaccan, Mawgan in Meneage, Mullion, Ruan Major, Ruan Minor, St. Anthony in Meneage, St. Keverne, St. Martin in Meneage, Sithney, Wendron.
The address of the Registration Office is: The Willows, Church Street, Helston, TR13 8NJ.
Tel: 01326 562848.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cury to another place.
"CURY, a parish in the hundred of Kerrier, in the county of Cornwall, 5 miles S.E. of Helston, and 12 from Falmouth. It is situated near the Lizard and Goonhilly Downs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter, value £549, in the patronage of the Rev. J. Rogers. The church, dedicated to St. Ninian, is an ancient stone building in the pointed style, with Norman arch and carvings. The tithes were commuted in 1839. There are chapels for the Association Wesleyans and Wesleyans; also a National school for both sexes. S. Davey, Esq., is lord of the manor. Roman coins have been found at Trevissick.
- OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- Strays. Persons living in a parish but born elsewhere are known as "Strays". Strays found in Cury in the 1861 Census are available on-line.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Cury ecclesiastical parish:
- Skewes (Escheuuit, Schewit), Grid Reference 690215.
You can see the administrative areas in which Cury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Kerrier Registration District in which the parish lies
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW693223 (Lat/Lon: 50.055777, -5.224218), Cury which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Cury parish was part of the Helston Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.