The parish of Egloskerry (Cornish: Egloskerri), otherwise Egloscruc), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Major and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by the River Attery which separates it from the parish of North Petherwin, on the east by St Stephen-by-Launceston, and St Thomas-by-Launceston, on the south by Trewen and Laneast, and on the west by Laneast and Tresmere. The name is Cornish for 'Church of Keri'. This saint is believed to be female and one of the 24 children of the Welsh king Broccan.
The parish is about 5 miles south-west of Launceston and consists of the village of Egloskerry and many outlying hamlets and farms. Besides the Churchtown, these include Tregeare, Badharlick, and Trebeath. Penheale Manor dates back to the Domesday Book of 1086, but the architecture of the house today is mainly 17th and 20th century. The estate still farms a considerable area of land.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- Some monumental inscriptions at Egloskerry are available on-line, courtesy of the OPC scheme.
- Some transcriptions from the Egloskerry churchyard are available on the Cornish Cemeteries site.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for the Tregeare Methodist Chapel - 202 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1841 Census of Egloskerry (HO107/134), Enumeration District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1841 census for this parish has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241258.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Egloskerry (HO107/1899), Enumeration Districts 4a and 4b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1861 Census of Egloskerry (RG9/1518) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project. The enumeration districts of the parish for this census cannot be determined.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: 1861 Census for this parish, which is available in Book format.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Egloskerry (RG10/2223), Enumeration Districts 4b and 5a, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Egloskerry (RG11/2275), Enumeration Districts 4 and 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Egloskerry (RG12/1802), Enumeration Districts 4 and 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX2786 and was originally dedicated to St Ide and St Lydy on 14th September 1260. It was rededicated to St Keria in 1506. The church comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle, and north transept. The arcade has five four-centred arches of granite with monolith pillars. There is a south porch and a blocked north door. The tower, the door of which is dated 1691, is of three stages, and finished with battlements and pinnacles; it is 59 feet in height.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel in the Churchtown.
- LDS Church Records
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Egloskerry are: C022531/2/3, E022532, M022532. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1576 - 1875; it is NOT believed to be fully included in the LDS Church's International Genealogical Index (IGI).
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1576 - 1874, Burials 1573 - 1909, Marriages 1574 - 1837, Boyd's Marriage Index 1574 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812.
- Baptisms 1576 to 1874 (erratically kept), are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1684 to 1845 for this parish and are available to purchase on Parish Chest.
- Banns. Banns 1755 to 1783 (Phillimore's) and 1824 to 1911, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Marriages 1574 to 1812 (Phillimore's), 1574 to 1837, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1574 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore's Marriages of Egloskerry 1574 to 1812 is available on-line from UK Genealogy Archives.
The parish of Egloskerry is in the Launceston Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Altarnun, Launceston, North Hill, North Petherwin and St Stephen-by-Launceston, but these are now all closed. Parishes within the district were: Altarnun, Boyton, Egloskerry, Laneast, Launceston, Lawhitton, Lewannick, Lezant, Northill, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Stephens by Launceston, St. Thomas the Apostle, St. Thomas Street, South Petherwin, Stokeclimsland, Tremaine, Treneglos, Tresmeer, Trewen, Warbstow.
The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Hendra, Dunheved Road, Launceston, PL15 9JG. Tel: 01566 772464.
Pictures of Egloskerry are available on-line.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Egloskerry to another place.
"EGLOSKERRY, a parish in the N. division of the hundred of East, county Cornwall, 4 miles N.W. of Launceston, its post town. It is situated on a small tributary of the river Tamer. In the Domesday Survey this parish is called Penhele. It was the seat of the Speccots, who furnished a troop of horse for the service of Charles I. Manganese and blue felspar are found, and stone is quarried for building purposes. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter, value with the perpetual curacy of Tremaine, £111. The church is an ancient stone building, with tower containing six bells. It is dedicated to St. Petrock, and contains monuments of the Speccot family and others; also a very handsome stained-glass window. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, and a parochial school at Tregeare."
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Egloskerry ecclesiastical parish:
- Penheale (Pennehel), Grid Reference 268880.
You can see the administrative areas in which Egloskerry has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Map of the Launceston Registration District in which the parish lies.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX263867 (Lat/Lon: 50.653696, -4.458562), Egloskerry which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Apprenticeship Indentures for Egloskerry (1687 - 1820) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.
- Egloskerry parish was part of the Launceston Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1682 to 1683, 1714 to 1733 and 1742), Settlement Papers (1713 to 1801) and Bastardy Bonds (1627 to 1774), are available in the Cornwall Record Office.